Colonial American Y Haplo H1a men

YDNA:
H1a
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 pm
Looking for all Y Haplo Group H1a male lineages of any surname who can trace their trees back to Colonial America pre 1800's.
You maybe being predicted as Haplo H or H1, but you could be H1a.

Y Haplo Group H1a has specifically been found in male lineages of Colonial Maryland, Virginia, and South Carolina late 1600's - 1700's era family trees, if you are one of those H1a male lineages please let me know who you are.

Lock / Locke, Bailey / Bailie, Ingram / Ingraham, Campbell, Ruffin, Carter, Wormley, Jewell, Hite are some of the known H1a male lineages from the Colonial era, most of which have direct ties to Virginia 1700's era.

Lock, Bailey, Ingram, Campbell are English and Scottish Romanichal "Gypsy" male lineages.
Ruffin, Carter, Wormley, Jewell are slave descendants, most from Virginia plantations.
Hite is believed to be a case of an adoption, also of Virginia

Here is a complete listing of known H1a male lineages from Europe and the USA.
Unless other wise stated, participants have tested with FTDNA.

Temelko – Bulgaria – H1a , 37 markers tested
Yanko - Bulgaria – H1a , 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Markov – Bulgaria – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Vasko - Hungary – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Lesonen – Russia – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Chaban - Ukraine , H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Nica – Romania – H1a, 12 markers tested
Svetoslavov - H1a - Unknown origin, 46 markers tested ( Ancestry DNA company )
Bailey / Bailie – Scotland to USA - H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Campbell – Scotland to USA – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Lock / Locke – England and USA, H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Smith – England - H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Boswell – England – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Boss / Boswell – England – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Stanley – England to USA - H1a, 12 markers tested
Lee – England to Australia – H1a, 12 markers tested
Burton – England – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Ingram – USA presumed from England, H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation
Ayres / Eyres - England - H1a, unofficial results from Leicester University Romany DNA study.
Gray - England - H1a, unofficial results from Leicester University Romany DNA study.
Carter – USA – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation ( Virginia slave descendant )
Ruffin – USA – H1a, 37 markers tested ( Virginia slave descendant )
Jewell – USA – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation, ( Virginia slave descendant )
Short – USA – H1a, 12 markers tested ( believed to be a Bailey descendant )
Hall – USA – H1a, 12 markers tested
Hite – USA – H1a, 67 markers tested, 425 = 0 mutation ( believed to be a case of an adoption )
Wilson – Kentucky USA - H1a, 46 markers tested, 33 markers tersted ( 2 Wilson men tested with Ancestry DNA company )
Wormley - DC USA - H1a, 37 markers ( possibly a Virginia slave descendant )
Mondragon - Mexico to USA, 67 markers, 425 = 0 mutation
Fall - USA , H1a, 33 markers tested ( Ancestry DNA company ) "note: maybe a spelling variation of Faa "
Wise - USA - H1a, 46 markers tested ( Ancestry DNA company )

As you see, there are far more Y Haplo Group H1a male lineages of many surnames in the USA then was previously known by the scientists.
"Some" of those American H1a male lineages are of Romany origins, the rest are highly suspected to be of Romany origins.
Many of those H1a men have been Deep Clade SNP tested and confirmed as H1a.

YDNA:
G2c-M377 DYS425=null
MtDNA:
HV5 + A3397G
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 am
Don, do you have any autosomal results for these Romanichal descendants in Gedmatch? What about the mtDNA, are there any M5a1 and U3a1?
Roma mtDNA haplogroups in Europe

YDNA:
H1a
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:05 pm
There have been very few Romani autosomal DNA tested to my personal knowledge, and only one to my knowledge has uploaded to the Gedmatch web site.
There was one M5a1* female participant in the Romany DNA project, but I just looked and see she is no longer a member, why I do not know.
There are no U3a, but there are a few U3b* in the project.

Most of the participants of the Romany project are English Romanichal's, very few Romani from other clans are involved in DNA at this time.
It is a difficult thing to get Romani people to DNA test because of past and present events. Romani fear DNA because of Hitler and WWII and because of other past and present events and they fear DNA will be used against them.
Many are very interested in DNA, but their fears are justified because they are one of the most hated peoples in all of Europe, so trying to convince my cousins to join me in DNA is a very difficult thing to do, they face racisim on a daily basis all through out Europe.

The only Romani vitsa "clan" who are more actively involved in genetic's are the English Romanichal's, but this is but one branch of Romani out of many Romani vitsa's "clans" of Europe. Many English Romanichal's have participated in the Leicester University Romany DNA study which has not been completed and published yet.

Y Haplo H1a will be very heavily represented amongst the English Romanichal's and I would imagine some mt M5a1 and U3b will also likely be found for the Leicester study. The Leicester study shared with me a surname list of Romanichal's who are involved in that study and I can vouch that the vast majority of those surnames are in fact English Romanichal's.
The University has a researcher involved in that study who is also involved in genealogy and because of that genealogical experience, they had a very good idea in advance of who the true English Romanichal family's were and have focused that study on very specific family's of Romanichal origins.

And no, the Irish Travellers who are not Romany are not going to be participants for the Leicester study I was told.
This will be the first time an unbiased study is being done on the Romanichal clan so I very much look forward to seeing their results being published. I know 2 of the participants had their Y DNA results released early because of illness, one of those participants has since passed away of his illness, but I was told both participants were Y Haplo H1a men and are surnames not represented in my own Romany DNA project. I know several of the participants in my project have also participated in the Leicester study and is why I have little doubts that study will find a rather high percentage of H1a men for that study, I too have participated in the Leicester study :)

Many Romanichal's who were not willing to participate in my independent Romany DNA study, gladly jumped on the band wagon for the Leicester study to get a free test which I happily supported. The Romanichal's are one of the least studied of the Romani clans, and once this study is completed and published, I hope many more new facts emerge from that study.
How many M5a1 and U3b or possibly U3a* maybe found for the Leicester study is anyone's guess at this point.
I am very sure "some" M5a1 and U3b will be found for that study, and I know for a fact Y H1a will be found in larger numbers then was previously known about.

Once I get word that the Leicester study has been completed and published, I will gladly post a web link to that study.
I have already shared all my own independent Romanichal research with Dr. Turi King in hopes that my independent research might help their study.

YDNA:
H1a
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 pm
Archaeogenetics wrote:Don, do you have any autosomal results for these Romanichal descendants in Gedmatch? What about the mtDNA, are there any M5a1 and U3a1?
Roma mtDNA haplogroups in Europe

Only a couple of Romanies have autosomal DNA tested to my personal knowledge, one of which I know is in mt Haplo U3b and her male lineage is Y Haplo H1a. She has tested with both FTDNA and 23 & Me, but I do not know what her gedmatch id is.
I have FF tested with FTDNA as well.

Return to H Haplogroup (Y-DNA)