PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:07 pm
The last paragraph explains why I have two fathers included together. The first was my biological father and the second my adopted father of 1951.

My biological father Harold Matthew Burke was one of two survivors along with eight other men in his outfit who crawled on the freezing snowy ground, over mines, under and through concertina and barbed wire while being fired on and their clothes frozen to their bodies and put out two German Pill Boxes. That day was the coldest day in history for that area of Germany. He was a member of the 2nd Infantry Division known as the Indianheads, Co B - 9th Infantry Regiment. Pvt. Burke was wounded on December 16, 1944 at what became known as Heartbreak Crossroads and the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge. He was sent to a hospital in England to recover from his wounds and take care of frostbite on both feet. Pvt. Burke was awarded the Purple Heart and the Infantry Combat Medal. He was honorably discharged on November 3, 1945.

Daddy remarried late in life and continued with a happy marriage. I've more memories of him than my brother and they are good. My parents got a divorce not long after daddy Harold came back from WWII. He went to his grave with shrapnel still too near his heart to be removed. He was a very handsome man with black hair and sky blue eyes. I look like both of my parents, Harold and Gertrude. He is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Beaumont, Texas.

Daddy Harold Burke is how I am descended from Antoine Bourg. My brother did the paternal testing for the Bourg/Bourque/Burke side of our family. Haplogroup R1b1a2a1a1b

Daddy Bigler, Charles Louis Bigler Sr. was a machine gunner in the 592nd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment known as Amphibian Engineers. He reached the rank of Tech. Corporal. I have a lot of memorabilia from his experiences in the Pacific Theater. Many of the pictures he brought back are in a slideshow in my website. His outfit spent most of their time at Palm Beach, Oro, New Genea. He was the most wonderful father my brother, sister and I could ever have. After mother and he married January 15, 1949 they had our sister, Molly, born in October 1950. Daddy had nightmares from the war on into my sister's teenage years. I thought he looked like Frank Sinatra in the early years of his marriage to our mother. He was very lean until he had heart problems. Then he put on weight and was healthier than before. When he retired from Texaco Refinery he took over the kitchen and even taught me how to cook cereal in the microwave. Daddy took us on lots of family trips. My brother and I have fond memories of him. He died of mesothelioma in August 1986 and our mother followed him in death the following December. The mesothelioma of the lungs was contracted from asbestos while he worked at Texaco. He is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery in Port Artnur/Groves, Texas alongside our mother.

My sister's heritage goes back to Germany by way of the Bigler name. Sebastian Bigler became a naturalized citizen in 1857. He was born in 1816 in Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany. He died September 1, 1872 in Louisiana USA. It is unknown when he immigrated to America. His father was Jacob Bigler. Sebastian purchased land in St Mary Parish which has been passed down to the heirs generation after generation. Nobody has done DNA testing that we are aware of for the Bigler name.

When my husband and I traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana this past January 2012 we stopped in Franklin where my father was born. My father was born in Franklin on October 7, 1916. My adopted father (1951 adoption) was also born in Franklin a few months earlier on June 28, 1916. Interestingly they knew each in their youth. We stopped at a tourist information center near Franklin and I shared why we were there, mostly me. The lady told us to visit Grevemberg House Museum and share my story. We went and the lady there called the local newspaper and a reporter came out. The reporter interviewed me and I gave her the link to my WWII pages in my website. An article about my visit and my two fathers was placed in the February 10, 2012 Banner-Tribune Newspaper (St. Mary Now Newspaper online) on page three along with a picture of me with a come as you are look, just as I was dressed traveling through. But wow what a big picture and nice article!

http://moonlightflower.org/WWIIPages.html :D
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:50 pm
great story, thanks!

Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, Tipperary Co. Ire. to Kincardine On

Y-DNA-RL21, R-513* (still looking for the 'lost Irish 'C' boys')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-

Co Administrator of the Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project

Return to In Memoriam