Ancestral modal Y-STR haplotype shared among Romani and Sou

YDNA:
G P303+
MtDNA:
C4a1
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:22 pm
There is a new paper: Ancestral modal Y-STR haplotype shared among Romani and South Indian populations by Regueiro et. al.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 191200563X
Does someone have access to it? If so can you post a synopsis?
One of the primary unanswered questions regarding the dispersal of Romani populations concerns the geographical region and/or the Indian caste/tribe that gave rise to the proto-Romani group. To shed light on this matter, 161 Y-chromosomes from Roma, residing in two different provinces of Serbian, were analyzed. Our results indicate that the paternal gene pool of both groups is shaped by several strata, the most prominent of which, H1-M52, comprises almost half of each collection's patrilineages. The high frequency of M52 chromosomes in the two Roma populations examined may suggest that they descend from a single founder that has its origins in the Indian subcontinent. Moreover, when the Y-STR profiles of haplogroup H derived individuals in our Roma populations were compared to those typed in the South Indian emigrants from Malaysia and groups from Madras, Karnataka (Lingayat and Vokkaliga castes) and tribal Soligas, sharing of the two most common haplotypes was observed. These similarities suggest that South India may have been one of the contributors to the proto-Romanis. European genetic signatures (i.e., haplogroups E1b1b1a1b -V13, G2a-P15, I-M258, J2-M172 and R1-M173), on the other hand, were also detected in both groups, but at varying frequencies. The divergent European genetic signals in each collection are likely the result of differential gene flow and/or admixture with the European host populations but may also be attributed to dissimilar endogamous practices following the initial founder effect. Our data also supports the notion that a number of haplogroups including G2a-P15, J2a3b-M67(xM92), I-M258 and E1b1b1-M35 were incorporated into the proto-Romani paternal lineages as migrants moved from northern India through Southwestern Asia, the Middle East and/or Anatolia into the Balkans.

Thanks.

YDNA:
H1a
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 am
Thanks for posting this link!
I do not have access to this study yet.

" To shed light on this matter, 161 Y-chromosomes from Roma, residing in two different provinces of Serbian, were analyzed. Our results indicate that the paternal gene pool of both groups is shaped by several strata, the most prominent of which, H1-M52, comprises almost half of each collection's patrilineages. The high frequency of M52 chromosomes in the two Roma populations examined may suggest that they descend from a single founder that has its origins in the Indian subcontinent. "

I got 2 comments about that study. 1st, it should be H1a - M82. Nit picking I know, but we know multiple Romany have been Deep Clade SNP tested and confirmed as H1a - M82, not as H1 - M52. There is a distinction even if they do not acknowledge that distinction in their study.
2nd, they write " may suggest" the Romany descended from a single founder. They very obviously have ignored the lastest findings from my own independent Romany study to know about the 425 = 0 null mutation being found in all the Romany H1a lineages of Eastern and Western European Romany vitsa's "clan's" If those experts were testing marker 425 for their studies, they would know all about the Romany H1a male lineages carrying this null mutation in common. They would change their tune to clearly state yes the Romany clearly came from a single founder population, not speculating "may suggest".

Y Haplo Group H DNA project web link
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/YHa ... fault.aspx

Romany DNA project web link.
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Rom ... fault.aspx

I know my results are not "professional" in the same sense, but they can not continue to ignore the results of my independent study.
The Romany Y Haplo Group H1a with the 425 = 0 mutation is very clearly a "private" SNP distinct to the European Romany.
I am one of those Romany of the Romanichal vitsa H1a men with the 425 = 0 null mutation.

I will be contacting those involved in that study and bring that very subject up with them again. If they weren't privy to this evidence before, they will know about it after I make contact with them :)
It is important for those researchers to understand the evidence that I have already proven, which can help their Romany studies for future studies.

Return to East/South Asia