Ancestral homeland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46 am
James B Crowther wrote:The two surnames which were the best data sources from the five candidate that I analyzed in the N-L550 group were the ancient surnames of Faram of Worchester and Chappilow of North Yorkshire. Faram (N95810/2H224) and Chappilow (172425/PNG8V) are 9/9 matches to Swedish DYS values. Faram is a 9/9 match to Swedish Saami and Österbotten and Chappilow is a 9/9 match to Uppsala and Västerbotten.

Note that N95810 has tested L1025+ , usually (though not always) south or southeast Baltic.
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:20 am
lgmayka wrote:
James B Crowther wrote:The two surnames which were the best data sources from the five candidate that I analyzed in the N-L550 group were the ancient surnames of Faram of Worchester and Chappilow of North Yorkshire. Faram (N95810/2H224) and Chappilow (172425/PNG8V) are 9/9 matches to Swedish DYS values. Faram is a 9/9 match to Swedish Saami and Österbotten and Chappilow is a 9/9 match to Uppsala and Västerbotten.

Note that N95810 has tested L1025+ , usually (though not always) south or southeast Baltic.

Igmayka,

Thank you for the update. I will have to watch N95810 more carefully now as the data gets better at identifying likely origin within the Baltic Sea area.
YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a1a
MtDNA:
H5e1a
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:21 am
Hey James,

We have Jakob Faram N95810 in the Eastern Balts subclade (DYS456=13) group at the Baltic Sea Project so I would say that you wouldn't be too far of the mark in saying that his Ancestors came from the Eastern end of the Baltic Sea. :D
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:53 pm
sasha39 wrote:Hey James,

We have Jakob Faram N95810 in the Eastern Balts subclade (DYS456=13) group at the Baltic Sea Project so I would say that you wouldn't be too far of the mark in saying that his Ancestors came from the Eastern end of the Baltic Sea. :D

Howdy Sasha,

Thank you for this added information. This is getting very interesting. I wonder if it is possible to estimate where these different hyplotypes from around the Baltic Sea region likely converged prior to coming to England.

YDNA:
N-L1034
MtDNA:
B5a1a
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:12 pm
Hi James,
I thought it may be of some interest to you in your research, if you didn't read it yet:
https://www.academia.edu/8954733/The_Ch ... gs_of_York
YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a1a
MtDNA:
H5e1a
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 pm
Hi Vadu,

Great find I'm sure James will find it interesting, by the way did you see that Genghis Khan's grave might have been found http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/mongolia-archaeologists-unearth-tomb-of-genghis-khan/
Looks like the story that a river was diverted to hide the grave might have been true, hope this might be true and that they can get some good DNA and given your Big Y results soon to be posted we can find out if Genghis might have been your ancestor. :lol:

YDNA:
N1c1d1a
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:21 pm
James B Crowther wrote:

Howdy Sasha,

Thank you for this added information. This is getting very interesting. I wonder if it is possible to estimate where these different hyplotypes from around the Baltic Sea region likely converged prior to coming to England.

Good day,

Also if look at the rune stones frequency in map, some kinda concentration can be focused in Uppland area Sweden. There is hundred of stones also written memorials of the vikings tour, like sailing tax range to England in early 1000AD, like for example in stone n:o U-344 you can find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkesta_Runestones#U_344.

I think, that the peoples in Viking Age did not know to represent a any haplotypes, for sure. Although it would have been some differences and enmity between tribes. Trading cooperative (silver, fur), language skill, even as only high quality handicraft skills were mixed the tribes, because Vikings like all ways find and also hired craftsmen and took them also prisoner from all Baltic Sea area. This must be of course added lowest level working slaves in they farms.
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:52 pm
wejoja wrote:
James B Crowther wrote:

Howdy Sasha,

Good day,

Also if look at the rune stones frequency in map, some kinda concentration can be focused in Uppland area Sweden. There is hundred of stones also written memorials of the vikings tour, like sailing tax range to England in early 1000AD, like for example in stone n:o U-344 you can find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkesta_Runestones#U_344.

I think, that the peoples in Viking Age did not know to represent a any haplotypes, for sure. Although it would have been some differences and enmity between tribes. Trading cooperative (silver, fur), language skill, even as only high quality handicraft skills were mixed the tribes, because Vikings like all ways find and also hired craftsmen and took them also prisoner from all Baltic Sea area. This must be of course added lowest level working slaves in they farms.

Dear Wejoja,

Thank you as well for the information and the link to Runestone U-344. Clearly Viking activity continued in England for some time after the Great Danish/Heathen Army had finished operations and the men from Uppland come to England well after the 9th Century. For the Yorkshire Surnames who were 9/9 DYS matches to Swedish men in my study, there were seven who matched men from Uppsala. Of these seven matches, four were exclusive 9/9 DYS matches to Uppsala alone while the other three shared 9/9 DYS matches with men from other regions of Sweden as well.

I have been examining the history of West Yorkshire more closely it leads me to believe that not all of the Scandinavian Surnames in my sample group settled in this region at the same time or even before 1066. After the Norman Conquest the regional was made waste by the Harrying of the North in the winter of 1069-1070. Even before the Harrying of the North the region of southwest Yorkshire was mostly unsettled, and made more so with the Harrying. As the region was repopulated it appears that many men with Scandinavian YDNA took advantage of the situation. Even as late as the 14th century the records of the Court Rolls of the Manor of Wakefield mostly consists of proceedings of men who were actively obtaining more and more land as it became available or was recovered from "waste." Therefore, for West Yorkshire settlement likely occurred gradually over hundreds of years. However, it seems that the region was particularly attractive to those of Scandinavian paternal ancestry who mostly came from other former Danelaw regions within England.
YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a1a
MtDNA:
H5e1a
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:57 am
G'day James,

I was looking at that old map that you had sent me and I fell off my chair when I looked at the area between Aland and the Finnish mainland.
Now do you see the settlement called Korpa, now you and I both know that it wouldn't be too hard with the English language to change Korpa to Crowther just a thought given that your homeland is somewhere around that part of the world.
Back in the days when surnames were not used your name would have been James (of or from) Korpa and then sometime later just James Korpa and given the language differences it might have been written as Crowther, anyway gives you something to think about my friend. :geek:

YDNA:
N-Z35267
MtDNA:
H7a
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm
Korpo island can also be connected to Crowther from the coat of arms, that is a bird that reminds of a crow. But this is as far fetched as sasha's theory, i think :mrgreen:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korpo
PreviousNext

Return to N Haplogroup (Y-DNA)