Ancestral homeland

YDNA:
N-L551
MtDNA:
H11a
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm
Does anyone have the ability to look into the meaning of "Korpa" in the Finnish language?

Karpa...

Krawpa?

Kraw / Craw (compare to English word "Crow"... as in the coat of arms?)

then later in the English language... as an English rendition of a foreign name, what would it be?

hmm... yes, although it is perhaps far fetched (as Mack has said), Sasha's idea deos make you think. This type of thing does happen a lot in history, and is certainly not impossible. Very interesting idea...

Who knows?
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:51 am
Sasha, MACK, and SupertigerCH,

Thanks guys for your discussion on the possible connection of my Crowther surname with Korpo. There are some unusual coincidences here that y'all have shared. Another connection is that I believe that MACK has male ancestors from around Karpo. Did I get that right MACK?

Proving a connection between Karpo and Crowther would make my day. :D

YDNA:
N-L551
MtDNA:
H11a
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:32 am
Perhaps this would be MACK's paternal homeland?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Macki ... 7e50f901e9

YDNA:
N-Z35267
MtDNA:
H7a
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:14 am
James B Crowther wrote:Sasha, MACK, and SupertigerCH,

Thanks guys for your discussion on the possible connection of my Crowther surname with Korpo. There are some unusual coincidences here that y'all have shared. Another connection is that I believe that MACK has male ancestors from around Karpo. Did I get that right MACK?

Hello

Yes i have grew up in Korpo. If you are intersested here is a short video from the 50s where you can see how the archipelago looks like.

https://vimeo.com/85440302
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:14 am
MACK wrote:
James B Crowther wrote:Sasha, MACK, and SupertigerCH,

Hello

Yes i have grew up in Korpo. If you are intersested here is a short video from the 50s where you can see how the archipelago looks like.

https://vimeo.com/85440302

MACK, Thank you. Pretty rugged county. I have visited the areas around Oslo and the video of Karpo seems to share a similar rocky coastline.
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:43 pm
supertigerCH wrote:Does anyone have the ability to look into the meaning of "Korpa" in the Finnish language?

Karpa...

Krawpa?

then later in the English language... as an English rendition of a foreign name, what would it be?

hmm... yes, although it is perhaps far fetched (as Mack has said), Sasha's idea deos make you think. This type of thing does happen a lot in history, and is certainly not impossible. Very interesting idea...

Who knows?

Interesting and your idea about an English rendition of a foreign name caused me to do a bit more investigation. The Old Norse word for the Goths or Geats of southern Sweden is "Gotar" or "Gautar." This could also been a Yorkshire dialect rendition that became Crowther. Based on my prior research project, I identified that 16 of the 40 ancient family names present in the Halifax (ancient Manor of Wakefield) parish region since the 14th century had STR matches to Swedish Y-DNA. Most of the 16 Swedish matches were men whose forbearers resided in southern Sweden. There is the also the Y-DNA STR connection that was been previously discussed with my kit and Gotland (land of the Gotars). This could be more that just a coincidence.
YDNA:
T1a2-Z19945
MtDNA:
H95a
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:04 pm
James B Crowther wrote:
supertigerCH wrote:Does anyone have the ability to look into the meaning of "Korpa" in the Finnish language?

Karpa...

Krawpa?

Who knows?

Interesting and your idea about an English rendition of a foreign name caused me to do a bit more investigation. The Old Norse word for the Goths or Geats of southern Sweden is "Gotar" or "Gautar." This could also been a Yorkshire dialect rendition that became Crowther. Based on my prior research project, I identified that 16 of the 40 ancient family names present in the Halifax (ancient Manor of Wakefield) parish region since the 14th century had STR matches to Swedish Y-DNA. Most of the 16 Swedish matches were men whose forbearers resided in southern Sweden. There is the also the Y-DNA STR connection that was been previously discussed with my kit and Gotland (land of the Gotars). This could be more that just a coincidence.

did the Geats of Sweden merge with the Gutes of Gotland with the gothanni of Poland?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geats

their language are all different

Also some histoians claim some Gutes migrated to denamrk and formed the Jutes ( genetic similarities is what was tested )
Fathers mtdna - T2b17 ...back to 1860 Bucciol line
Grandfathers mtdna - T1a1e ...back to 1820 Mestriner line
Sons Mtdna - K1a4 ....back to 1840 Tesser line
Maternal grandfather ydna - Ild-P109
YDNA:
N-L1022
MtDNA:
U5a1a1d
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:52 am
Stoeni,

This is a good question and I don't believe there is enough data yet to answer your question. However, it is a good thought and I hope we get an answer to it.

There is some discussion now at the following link on possible L1022+ and Y5003+ linkage to Gotland you might find interesting:

http://www.eng.molgen.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=100
Previous

Return to N Haplogroup (Y-DNA)