BIG Question - is the only answer BIG-Y?


Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a- N-L550
MtDNA:
J1c2f
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:43 pm
I have tested with FTDNA for 111 markers STR and several SNPs and also separately with GENO 2,0 and have confirmed L550+ and L1025-. My closest STR matches are also all confirmed L550+ and L1025- so I have always assumed that we all belong to George's Rurikids branch on the N-M231 tree.

Just to confirm this I ordered a SNP test for Y4343, the first SNP in the Rurikids branch, and I have just received the result Y4343-!

Where does that leave me on the tree - I'm branchless! George has two side shoots from L550 into the North Balts branch, is this where I should look? Are the STR results for the people on those branches available?

I must admit that I have had a long delay in receiving the Y4343 result, almost 6 months, and FTDNA has stated that the first test did not work and they had to go to the second vial. Should I question the result? or is there another option for L550+, L1025- and Y4343-combination?

If anyone want to look at the complete list of SNP results I'll be more than willing to forward a copy.
Y-DNA: Hg N1c1a1a1a N3115 / SW7S9
mtDNA: Hg J1c2f

Paternal and maternal ancestors all Norwegians, 9 and 6 generations respectively.

Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 pm
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am
Svein wrote:I must admit that I have had a long delay in receiving the Y4343 result, almost 6 months, and FTDNA has stated that the first test did not work and they had to go to the second vial. Should I question the result? or is there another option for L550+, L1025- and Y4343-combination?

Misreads do occur--one occurred for L660 (in haplogroup G) in my project recently. But YFull's tree shows several possibilities for L550+ L1025- Y4343- :
N-Y7795 (Finland, Sweden)
N-Y9454 (Finland, Sweden)
N-L550* (Finland, Scotland)

Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a- N-L550
MtDNA:
J1c2f
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:16 pm
Thank you Igmayka, this is very interesting.

I have, I’m afraid, been interpreting the N-L550 Yfull tree information incorrectly, but once you pointed it out it is, of course, clear. I was aware of the N-Y7795 and N-Y9454 branches, which, as I mentioned, George has put in the North Balts branch, but I had not considered the N-L550* branch, but that branch is, of course, also L1025- and Y4343-.

Are the FTDNA “standard” ID numbers available anywhere for these 6 BIG Y testers so I can check for STR matches?
Y-DNA: Hg N1c1a1a1a N3115 / SW7S9
mtDNA: Hg J1c2f

Paternal and maternal ancestors all Norwegians, 9 and 6 generations respectively.

Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am
Location: Russia
YDNA:
N-Y4339
MtDNA:
K1c1e
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:48 am
Svein wrote:Are the FTDNA “standard” ID numbers available anywhere for these 6 BIG Y testers so I can check for STR matches?

YF01820 217193 McLelland

YF01759 240008 Vilkman
YF02342 213981 Fahlgren

YF02551 338059 Granath

Y7795 and Y9454 are not available for order yet.

Svein, optimally will be to order BigY for you.

Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a- N-L550
MtDNA:
J1c2f
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:18 am
Thank you Mukovnikov,

This was very helpful. McLelland is in fact one of my relatively close matches, 94/111, much closer than the others named BIG-Y testers. If I now could find who HG00341 from Finland is, and have a close match, may be I can assume I'm part of the N-L550* sub-group.
Y-DNA: Hg N1c1a1a1a N3115 / SW7S9
mtDNA: Hg J1c2f

Paternal and maternal ancestors all Norwegians, 9 and 6 generations respectively.

Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am
Location: Russia
YDNA:
N-Y4339
MtDNA:
K1c1e
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:49 am
Svein wrote:McLelland is in fact one of my relatively close matches, 94/111, much closer than the others named BIG-Y testers. If I now could find who HG00341 from Finland is, and have a close match, may be I can assume I'm part of the N-L550* sub-group.

If you are close to McLelland, BigY will help to find new SNPs which are common to the two of you.

HG00341 is sample from 1000Genomes and It is not close to McLelalland.

Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 pm

YDNA:
L1025
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:26 pm
If you only want to test for a few SNP's below L550 and don't care whether they show up on FTDNA, you may consider ordering them from YSEQ. Their turnaround time is faster than FTDNA at less than half the cost. In the long run, you should try the BIG Y to find your own set of SNP's and let others match some of them. I am not an expert on Norwegian statistics, but as far as Sweden is concerned, N1c1 is not common and if you are testing for SNP's that may be 1500-2500 years old, don't necessarily assume that your ancestors lived there at that time. If you are trying to find matches within written history, I think you must look to novel variants in N1c1, which means the Big Y.

Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a- N-L550
MtDNA:
J1c2f
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:10 pm
lamborn wrote:If you only want to test for a few SNP's below L550 and don't care whether they show up on FTDNA, you may consider ordering them from YSEQ. Their turnaround time is faster than FTDNA at less than half the cost. In the long run, you should try the BIG Y to find your own set of SNP's and let others match some of them. I am not an expert on Norwegian statistics, but as far as Sweden is concerned, N1c1 is not common and if you are testing for SNP's that may be 1500-2500 years old, don't necessarily assume that your ancestors lived there at that time. If you are trying to find matches within written history, I think you must look to novel variants in N1c1, which means the Big Y.


Thank you Iamborn, a good suggestion considering the recent delays with FTDNA. My problem however, apart from getting the money together, is which SNPs to test for! Being L550+, L1025- and Y4343- I don't see a choice of SNP apart from Big Y.

Another interesting development is that one of my relatively close matches, 96/111, N1c1 L550+, L1025-, FTDNA ID 116230, received his Big Y results recently and, as far as I can see, he is, just like YF01820 217193 McLelland, L550*. We are waiting for another Big Y result from FTDNA ID N5533, also L550+, L1025-. N5533 and 116230 have a confirmed Norwegian MRCA 12 generations back, b 1540. We have also identified three further descendants from this MRCA, but my STR match results do not suggest that I belong to this specific N1c1 cluster.

What should be the recommendations to 116230 and N5533 for analysing the results and positioning them on the N1c1 tree? Will they all, plus McLelland, end up on a new small "Viking" branch?
Y-DNA: Hg N1c1a1a1a N3115 / SW7S9
mtDNA: Hg J1c2f

Paternal and maternal ancestors all Norwegians, 9 and 6 generations respectively.

Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am
Location: Russia
YDNA:
N-Y4339
MtDNA:
K1c1e
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:40 am
Norsted 234674 (Isak Andersen Moe b 1674 Elverum, HED) Norway
McLelland 223996 (William M'Lellan of Bombie, b. abt1425 and d. 1474) Scotland
Bakke 116230 (Thor Thoresen, b 1795 Hemsedal, BUS) Norway

Perhaps, they belong to one subclade with novel-position 15308165. It is recommended for Norsted and Bakke to order the interpretation of their BigY-results in YFull.

Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

YDNA:
N1c1a1a1a- N-L550
MtDNA:
J1c2f
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:46 pm
I have just noted that the YFull N-tree, v3.14, has a new addition under the N-L550* heading, id:YF04000. Does anyone know who this is? Is it FTDNA id N5533 by any chance? If that is correct there should soon be another addition id 116230.

I have just ordered the new FTDNA Hg N SNP panel for my self, USD99 is much better than USD500!
Y-DNA: Hg N1c1a1a1a N3115 / SW7S9
mtDNA: Hg J1c2f

Paternal and maternal ancestors all Norwegians, 9 and 6 generations respectively.
Next

Return to N Haplogroup (Y-DNA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest