Any correlation between phenotypes and autosomal "admixture"

Discussions concerning Autosomal DNA.

Moderator: CeCeMoore

YDNA:
R1a
MtDNA:
T2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 am
I hope I am using the proper terms when I ask this.

As you can probably tell by my name, I am from California. My father is German/English/Irish and my mother is Irish/Mexican. I am blonde haired, blue eyed, and very light skinned while my brother has Blackish hair, darker skin, and brown eyes. Obviously, he gets that from my mothers Mexican side.

My question is, would this difference in physical appearance show up in a Autosomal DNA test? Would my brother's darker features indicate a more Hispanic genetic makeup?

YDNA:
R-Y2914
MtDNA:
H1c9a
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:50 pm
I can't answer your question California Bear, but i have seen your phenomenon before. My grandmother's father was from Italy, while her mother was Irish-Welsh. She had 5 siblings. She and the youngest boy looked like a leprechaun: milky white skin (and i mean pale, almost translucent), freckles, red hair, blue eyes. At least 3 of the other siblings resembled an Italian: dark hair, dark eyes, darker sink. Genetics are surely an odd thing. It is, I guess, just a matter of random happening how our appearance turns out. By the way, my father ended up with dark brown hair, blue eyes and a ruddy or slightly dark complexion. I don't know if he received this from his father or more from his grandfather.

MtDNA:
H24
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:08 pm
There are a number of different genes on different chromosomes involved in skin, hair, and eye pigment. If you took a test at 23andMe and looked at the chromosomal diagram for Ancestry Composition, the specific sections responsible for pigment would probably be labeled differently for you and your brother. However, the overall admixture results wouldn't necessarily reflect more Hispanic admixture in your brother. You could have inherited more Hispanic segments that aren't expressed as outward traits.
YDNA:
T1a2-Z19945
MtDNA:
H95a
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Ann Turner wrote:There are a number of different genes on different chromosomes involved in skin, hair, and eye pigment. If you took a test at 23andMe and looked at the chromosomal diagram for Ancestry Composition, the specific sections responsible for pigment would probably be labeled differently for you and your brother. However, the overall admixture results wouldn't necessarily reflect more Hispanic admixture in your brother. You could have inherited more Hispanic segments that aren't expressed as outward traits.

In 23andme , it states I should have blue eyes due to GG group. I am labeled 72% blue, 27% green and 1% hazel. I have mid-green coloured eyes.
My father has green and blue eyes and Gfather had green with a slight tinge of hazel eyes...............question is , clearly I am in the 27% bracket, but is the blue bracket based on my data or a number of people having the GG marker and they are blue eyed?
Fathers mtdna - T2b17 ...back to 1860 Bucciol line
Grandfathers mtdna - T1a1e ...back to 1820 Mestriner line
Sons Mtdna - K1a4 ....back to 1840 Tesser line
Maternal grandfather ydna - Ild-P109

MtDNA:
H24
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 am
stoeni wrote:In 23andme , it states I should have blue eyes due to GG group. I am labeled 72% blue, 27% green and 1% hazel. I have mid-green coloured eyes.
My father has green and blue eyes and Gfather had green with a slight tinge of hazel eyes...............question is , clearly I am in the 27% bracket, but is the blue bracket based on my data or a number of people having the GG marker and they are blue eyed?

It means that 72% of people in a study group with GG had blue eyes. The number is probably averaged from several studies cited in the report on eye color.
YDNA:
T1a2-Z19945
MtDNA:
H95a
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:30 am
Ann Turner wrote:
stoeni wrote:In 23andme , it states I should have blue eyes due to GG group. I am labeled 72% blue, 27% green and 1% hazel. I have mid-green coloured eyes.

It means that 72% of people in a study group with GG had blue eyes. The number is probably averaged from several studies cited in the report on eye color.

thank you

I thought they could actually determine my coloured eyes , instead of assuming.

maybe that's why they got my blood type wrong as well ..........assumptions
Fathers mtdna - T2b17 ...back to 1860 Bucciol line
Grandfathers mtdna - T1a1e ...back to 1820 Mestriner line
Sons Mtdna - K1a4 ....back to 1840 Tesser line
Maternal grandfather ydna - Ild-P109

YDNA:
R1a
MtDNA:
T2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:28 am
I appreciate the replies :)

I'm waiting for my Geno 2 results right now. I am very tempted to get my brother to order the test as well, so we could compare results!

Return to Autosomal DNA