Red Hair

Discussions concerning Autosomal DNA.

Moderator: CeCeMoore

YDNA:
R-DF41
MtDNA:
U5a2c3a
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm
Just this past Monday, 18 November, I got my Chromo2 Complete results from BritainsDNA, or most of them. The "All My Ancestry" autosomal results are still pending, but that's okay, because BritainsDNA was ahead of schedule with the rest of my results. Anyway, among the results I received was my "Redhead" test of the 40 known variants for red hair. Here is the message that appears on the "Redhead" page of my "myDNA" pages:

You are a
Carrier

You have a copy of the red-head variant
Arg160Trp
in your MC1R gene

This is a strong variant and you are a carrier of the red hair trait.

It is highly unlikely you have red or strawberry blond hair but may pass the trait on to your children.

I do in fact have a daughter with red hair, and three of my four grandchildren have red hair.

Here is BritainsDNA's map of the distribution in the British Isles of red hair carriers.

Here is an interesting brief video from CNN on the subject:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?iid=article_sidebar#/video/world/2013/04/26/sweeney-redhead-gene.cnn

YDNA:
R-DF41
MtDNA:
U5a2c3a
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm
Is it okay to mention products and prices here? I apologize for what follows, if not.

The Redhead test from BritainsDNA is just $40, which is £25 or €30. Not a bad deal if you want to find out if you carry any of the 40 variants for red hair. If your ancestry is from the Isles, there is a pretty fair chance you are a carrier. 8-)

Redhead Test

Return to Autosomal DNA