Autosomal dna from Geno2

Discussions concerning Autosomal DNA.

Moderator: CeCeMoore


Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:31 am
My son has 130,000 autosomal SNPs in his file that I downloaded from the Geno2. How can I find out which of these SNPs that he is positive for? NG should have posted only the SNPs that are specific to him. He has 55 MT SNPs that were posted recently but I have been told that some aren't reliable. When I transferred his file to FTDNA they posted the positive YSNPs on his page and he has 348 but none downstream of Z156*.It would be great if someone would write a DIY basics book for DNA tests.

Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm

MtDNA:
H24
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm
The concept of positive and negative doesn't really apply to the autosomal SNPs. Rather, the alleles have different frequencies in different populations. For instance (I am making this up), rs99999 might have two alleles, A and G. The A allele might be found in 27% of Irish samples and 38% of Spanish samples.

Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 pm
Ann Turner wrote:The concept of positive and negative doesn't really apply to the autosomal SNPs. Rather, the alleles have different frequencies in different populations. For instance (I am making this up), rs99999 might have two alleles, A and G. The A allele might be found in 27% of Irish samples and 38% of Spanish samples.



The only thing then I found from the Geno2 test was my sons Mt status. I already had the most recent SNP tests. The autosomal markers are irrelevant. Is that it?

Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm

MtDNA:
H24
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:30 pm
dartraighe wrote:
Ann Turner wrote:The concept of positive and negative doesn't really apply to the autosomal SNPs. Rather, the alleles have different frequencies in different populations. For instance (I am making this up), rs99999 might have two alleles, A and G. The A allele might be found in 27% of Irish samples and 38% of Spanish samples.



The only thing then I found from the Geno2 test was my sons Mt status. I already had the most recent SNP tests. The autosomal markers are irrelevant. Is that it?

They're used for biogeographical ancestry. They could also be used for identifying (close) relatives, but the Genographic Project doesn't analyze them for that purpose.

Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 am
If our ancestors arrived in Ireland 4000 years ago we should have MT,Y and Autosomal SNPs that are not found anywhere else. Isn't that right?

Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:30 am
dartraighe wrote:If our ancestors arrived in Ireland 4000 years ago we should have MT,Y and Autosomal SNPs that are not found anywhere else. Isn't that right?



The 46% NE that my son had from the 130,000 AIMs from the Geno2 are specific to Europe. Some of them are linked to Ireland. How do I find them?
He has rs6612164 AA and I have looked it up on the web and it shows GG for this SNP

Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:33 am
My sons autosomal results from the Geno2 show 46% NE 34 %M and 20% SWA. I didnt take the test myself but I think that I would be the same.In the NG populations results the Russians show 51 %NE ,the Finns 57% NE,the Danish 53% NE and the Isles 50% NE.
Why is there no autosomal dna from Africa in the results? Also the NG says that the Mediteranean and south west Asian are from the Neolithic. How can that be when the Sardinian PF Y SNPS in my Y-line are found in the upstream part of the Y-Tree?

Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:08 am
Ann Turner wrote:The concept of positive and negative doesn't really apply to the autosomal SNPs. Rather, the alleles have different frequencies in different populations. For instance (I am making this up), rs99999 might have two alleles, A and G. The A allele might be found in 27% of Irish samples and 38% of Spanish samples.



The concept of positive and negative does apply to autosomal SNPs. If one has AG then they are a carrier of the SNP and the GG would have the SNP. I am a carrier of the red hair gene as I have a TG at rs1805005, those that would have the red hair would show TT at this SNP. T is the risk allele.

Return to Autosomal DNA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests