FTDNA Population Finder share thread

Discussions concerning Autosomal DNA.

Moderator: CeCeMoore

YDNA:
R-DF99/S11987
MtDNA:
H3ap
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:26 am
A thread for members to share and discuss their FTDNA Population Finder results in a general sense, perhaps to help avoid potential clutter of separate Population Finder threads in the future.

How to interpret results (per enquiry with FTDNA's customer service in May of 2012):

The key information lays in the "Continent(subcontinent)" details, less so in the population details. The population details describe the samples used for comparison that successfully established a customer's result in regards to a larger continent or subcontinent.

Example - My result of being 86.81% Western European was arrived at through being closer in comparison to people from the Orkney Islands, France, and Spain than to other parts of the world, it is not saying that I literally have Ocadian, French or Spanish ancestry (same principle to be applied to the 13.19% other European). The margin of error +-9.63% indicates that 9.63% of my DNA is difficult to distinguish between the reported West European and other European.

Depending upon what one knows about their background one may apply the margin of error to alter the figures as deemed necessary. Example - a result of 86.81% Western European and 13.19% other European may be altered to 77.18% Western European and 22.82% other European (to establish one end point on a grade) or it may be altered to 96.44% Western European and 3.56% other European (to establish another end point on a grade). One's actual composition ought to fall somewhere in between the end points established.
Last edited by Barreldriver on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-P312 clades tested for: DF99+ P312+ DF27- DF19- U152- L21- L459- Z245- L238- Z2245- Z2247-
Ysearch: VNSGW
mtDNA: H3ap
Gedmatch ID: M033622

YDNA:
Pat-R-P312-DF27+
MtDNA:
Mat-U5b1d1 PatMt-A2
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:14 am
Did my infancy succeed another age of mine that dies before it? Was it that which I spent within my mother's womb? . . . And what before that life again, O God of my joy, was I anywhere or in any body?
~
Confessions of St. Augustine

MtDNA:
L3e3b
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:41 am
This is my Mom's result. I'm curious as to whether the "Middle East" is another case of the problem seen with admixture in African Americans leading to splitting the difference between Europe & Africa. (In 23&Me, the Global Similarity Advanced tool is relatively useless for most African Americans because it puts us on some continuum of "Mozabite." Could the Middle East indicate a North African influence from enslaved ancestors? We know that her biological father was European American. Her 23&Me Ancestry Painting listed 65% European, 34% African, & 2% Asian. Thanks for any insight! Sonia
Attachments
Mom's FF Pie Chart.JPG
Mom's FF Result

YDNA:
Pat-R-P312-DF27+
MtDNA:
Mat-U5b1d1 PatMt-A2
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:27 pm
Sonia FTDNA is a very simple and plain calculator. I ran mine through through Stanfords Interpretome and I have Mozabite. Gedmatch calcs just said NE African and NW African. Mozabites were/are 80% African heritage with middle eastern mixed in. Mozabite is Morocco, Libya, Egypt, Tunisia. I think a larger percentage of slaves were Western African but I could be wrong. I had McDonald do my DNA too and he said I had western african and labeled it as "Yoruba" which today is Nigeria/Lagos. Overall I found using 23 and me's admixture calc to be correct and using the Interpretome to refine what their catagories meant was helpful in the breakdown. FTDNA is way to Generic. I said I was 67% Western euro but I'm NORTH Euro..Swedish, Norway, Finland mostly. It just lumps them all together.

This is Interpretome pulling part my middle eastern DNA

Last edited by Diana Sotela on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Did my infancy succeed another age of mine that dies before it? Was it that which I spent within my mother's womb? . . . And what before that life again, O God of my joy, was I anywhere or in any body?
~
YDNA:
I1d1 (I-M253)
MtDNA:
U5b2b3a
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:55 am
Diana, when you get a chance, could you post the links to the Stanford's Interpretome, the 23andme calculator, and the McDonals site? I ask because I ordered the FTDNA FF, and I plan to post my results here as well. If the links are here, it will be easier for others to also post their results via these sites too. especially if the FTDNA result is so simplistic and plain.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Maternal surnames: Gelpí, Lebrón, Ruiz, Vientos, Mendez, Jardines, Marty, Cintra, Crisostomos, Orta, Perez, Torres
Paternal surnames: Ramírez, Jiménez/Gimenes, Rodríguez, López, Pagán, Jacome, Rivera, del Toro, Figueroa, Carlo

Paternal mtDNA: A2k1
gedMatch ID: FN105290

YDNA:
Pat-R-P312-DF27+
MtDNA:
Mat-U5b1d1 PatMt-A2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:26 pm
sofiagelpi wrote:Diana, when you get a chance, could you post the links to the Stanford's Interpretome, the 23andme calculator, and the McDonals site? I ask because I ordered the FTDNA FF, and I plan to post my results here as well. If the links are here, it will be easier for others to also post their results via these sites too. especially if the FTDNA result is so simplistic and plain.

Sofia I realize I made a mistake above and corrected it. It's not 23andme but it's Gedmatch Admix utilities.

Doug McDonald can only be contacted by sending your autosomal file to his email. It may take a while to hear back from him depending on how busy he is. jdmcdona@illinois.edu

www. gedmatch.com for the admix utilities

Interpretome for the colored shape graphs http://esquilax.stanford.edu/#pca
~
YDNA:
I1d1 (I-M253)
MtDNA:
U5b2b3a
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 pm
I finally got my results from FTDNA. I tested using the Family Finder Autosomal DNA test. Once the results come back, one of the tools within the test results is the Population Finder. I post this info because I was lost when I read the posts. Now that I got my results, I understand much better.

Below are my results from FTDNA, but in short:
The percentages are: 56% European (French, Orcadian, Romanian, Spanish); 28% Middle Eastern (Jewish); 7.87% West African (Mandenka, Yoruba); and 7.35% Native American (Surui, Karitiana, Columbian).

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
Sephardic European ancestry, with ancestors leaving Spain and settling in the colonies [mainly Cuba and Puerto Rico]. In doing so, they met native populations in the Caribbean [Taíno and Caribe, most probably], and also the slave trade in the area. I love that my autosomal genes carry the history of persecuted people. In a way, it is poetic that they survive on.
Attachments
pop finder details.jpg
population finder.jpg
________________________________________________________________________________________
Maternal surnames: Gelpí, Lebrón, Ruiz, Vientos, Mendez, Jardines, Marty, Cintra, Crisostomos, Orta, Perez, Torres
Paternal surnames: Ramírez, Jiménez/Gimenes, Rodríguez, López, Pagán, Jacome, Rivera, del Toro, Figueroa, Carlo

Paternal mtDNA: A2k1
gedMatch ID: FN105290

YDNA:
R-L21>DF13**
MtDNA:
H11a2a
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 am
Here is mine. EuroGenes has my Dual SPA as northwest and southeast of England Plotting. Around half of the NW Euro have a small percent MiddleEastern percentage.

MJostFtDNA-PopFinder.jpg
MJostFtDNAPopFinder
148326 DF13** Celtic, Goidelic 111 Marker: GD1/67 & GD3/111 Watterson USA, Cook(UK/Scot Heritage) with a GD5/111, Codere(Watterson(McWalter))IOM GD8/111 and Ross Scotland GD13/111. Cluster 13*-1130-A1: 20 off-modals from L21.
Sorted slow to fast: 531=>12, 497=15, 511=11, 19=>15, 385a=12, 441=14, 552=25, 447=24, 513=11, 557=<15, 446=14, 464d=18, 456=18, 534=16, 449=31, 576=17, 710=36 and 712=>21 68-111Panel
DF13>FGC5496.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By9Y3j ... sp=sharing
YDNA:
J1b M365+ J1a ISOGG
MtDNA:
H1ao1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am
My FTDNA FF
I would like the map of Brazil here too because I think the Brazilian Amerindians were nice tribal societies in a kind of a Tropical Eden !
Attachments
FTDNA Population Finder.jpg
Y DNA - Barcelos - Minho - Portugal. Colonial Brazil
MtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal
Brazilian Portuguese Founding People
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/m365/
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Brasil/
http://j1bm365.blogspot.com.br/
YDNA:
R1b, L21, DF21, L720
MtDNA:
J2b1a2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm
RCO wrote:My FTDNA FF
I would like the map of Brazil here too because I think the Brazilian Amerindians were nice tribal societies in a kind of a Tropical Eden !

I suspect that they just didn't sample the right Brazilian tribal group, don't you? Of course you could always just be descended from Maya ambassadors :lol: !
Y DNA lineage ancestor: Isaac Farris (b. 1787 in Virginia, USA)
mtDNA lineage ancestress: Ruth Stovall (b. 1731 in Virginia, USA)
Oldest known of any line: Ralfe Hurte (b. ca. 1410, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England)

Known Surnames of 3rd gr.-grands:
Farris, Ramey, Montgomery, Summers, Tupman, Reynolds, Griffin, Atkinson, Powell, Witt, Dunaway, Woolery, White, Nickerson, Griest, Humbert, Mullin, Peacock, Heeter, Peters, Kern, Law, Meade, Conley, Estep, Lemaster, May, Caudill, Cooper, Salyer
Next

Return to Autosomal DNA