Discussions concerning Autosomal DNA.

Moderator: CeCeMoore

YDNA:
R1b-L371 Wales
MtDNA:
U2e Germany
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 pm
'
Last edited by joneshistorian on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:32 am
joneshistorian wrote:GTC, perhaps you can start an online petition and then send results to the PoBI managers & the Wellcome Trust Chairman and Board. I would sign such a petition regarding Y-DNA data. However, they are already on record saying they would look at Y-DNA once they do a paper on Autosomal DNA.

I am a aware of one or two casual behind the scenes conversions taking place with PoBI folks in relation to what they intend to do with the Y data, but those involved are sensitive to not overplaying their cards as the project members are busily engaged in their main publishing goals and will be for some time yet.

Rather than a petition, I think perhaps a letter to Wellcome Trust from ISOGG's Director would be a better approach at this stage.
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 am
GTC wrote:
joneshistorian wrote:GTC, perhaps you can start an online petition and then send results to the PoBI managers & the Wellcome Trust Chairman and Board. I would sign such a petition regarding Y-DNA data. However, they are already on record saying they would look at Y-DNA once they do a paper on Autosomal DNA.

I am a aware of one or two casual behind the scenes conversions taking place with PoBI folks in relation to what they intend to do with the Y data, but those involved are sensitive to not overplaying their cards as the project members are busily engaged in their main publishing goals and will be for some time yet.

Rather than a petition, I think perhaps a letter to Wellcome Trust from ISOGG's Director would be a better approach at this stage.

I agree. A much more diplomatic response.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:25 am
GTC wrote:Rather than a petition, I think perhaps a letter to Wellcome Trust from ISOGG's Director would be a better approach at this stage.

I also agree! Y-DNA is much less sensitive then atDNA. But maybe in a possible letter also the publication or access to atDNA data could be a topic? It would be fantastic if ISOGG speakers from England (and elsewhere) try to build a good contact with PoBI project leaders, Wellcome Trust etc. "Open Science" and "Open Access" should be much more supported - For the benefit of all participants: Mind that on media events like Royal Society Summer Exhibition projects like PoBI receive the majority of attention and online coverage (Blogs, Facebook, Forums, etc.) from the Genetic Genealogy comunity. :D
DNA/Admixture Central Europe (Alps, Tyrol, Dolomites, Raetia); Y-DNA J2a-L1064, J2a-L210, R1a-M17, R1b-U106 (L48-); mtDNA J1b1b, J1c1d, U5a2b2, U5b1b1. Projects : J2-M172, J2a-PF5197, Alpine DNA, ISOGG Wiki

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:02 pm
ChrisR wrote:I also agree! Y-DNA is much less sensitive then atDNA. But maybe in a possible letter also the publication or access to atDNA data could be a topic? It would be fantastic if ISOGG speakers from England (and elsewhere) try to build a good contact with PoBI project leaders, Wellcome Trust etc. "Open Science" and "Open Access" should be much more supported - For the benefit of all participants: Mind that on media events like Royal Society Summer Exhibition projects like PoBI receive the majority of attention and online coverage (Blogs, Facebook, Forums, etc.) from the Genetic Genealogy comunity. :D

At least two UK members of ISOGG are in contact with the PoBI project leadership.

The data release policy has been reported thus:

"The raw data from the project will not be published with the forthcoming paper but will eventually be submitted to the Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium. Researchers wishing to use the data will have to submit an application to be granted access. The data will be made available to population geneticists and not just medical researchers."

(See http://cruwys.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/p ... oject.html)
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 am
Can I say that there is additional information and some more up-to-date map pictures on the PoBI Project from the Royal Society Summer School on the ISOGG Facebook page. We attended the event this past Tuesday.

I have had at least 3 meetings now with Bruce Winney. Within the next 2 weeks I will be sending both himself and Sir Walter Bodmer a follow-up email. I think they are planning a meeting with Prof. Mark Jobling and possibly Turi King from Leicester University to discuss how to tackle the Y-DNA analysis, probably in September (which is a bad month for me). I think this is our best chance of getting involved in this Project in some sort of co-operative way.

Of course, Turi King is now the new Editor of the JoGG. I am sure the Groups at both universities think they have thought of anything, and I am sure they can win collaboration with any Group they want. But I have been talking with Bruce Winney, off and on, for the best part of 2 or more years now - and am very keen for him to speak at WDYTYA 2013. I just wish ISOGG had more control over who speaks there - but we don't. I am continuing to work on that.

I think it may ultimately be possible to get through to the people who participated and see if they would be willing to share their surnames. There are some fairly formidable hurdles to be overcome, but it may just be feasible. But we have to earn our street-cred. with this group - and ultimately the permission will probably rest with Dr. Bruce Winney, Sir Walter Bodmer and Prof. Peter Donnelly. It will take quite some time to achieve this.

You may also have missed that ISOGG have plans to get into the Wellcome-Sanger Institute after WDYTYA in February 2013. The most obvious person of interest there is Dr. Chris Tyler-Smith, who is a long-standing colleague and friend of Prof. Mark Jobling. We will continue to work actively to build our relationship into these groups.
Previous

Return to Autosomal DNA