My first 67 marker match

General discussions regarding DNA and its uses in genealogy research

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:31 pm
I have my first 60/67 marker match at FTDNA and I had to wait eight years. I now have a link that may be 1000 ybp instead of 5000. He has the off modal values that I have and the only one. I would be certain that he has the same terminal snp that I have.

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm
I decided to take the plunge two years ago and take the Big Y test. While I was waiting for the results I noticed that I had a 67 marker match at FTDNA and he was my first and only one in nine years. I looked up his name in the projects to see if he had 13 at DYS492. He had 13 and I contacted him. By the time we had exchanged a few emails I received my Big Y results. Due to the fact that we had different surnames , I asked if he would be interested in taking the Big Y to determine how close we really were and he went for it. We both sent our BAM files to Yfull and Yfull gave us a TMRCA of 1,300 years to a common ancestor. We matched on all but nine of our YSNPs. I am a lot closer now to my paper trail than I was before this test. It shows the progress that one can make with just one good match.

I am glad that I borrowed the money to take the test . The Big Y produced 32 good quality YSNPs under the terminal SNP status that FTDNA had me at before it. Also, Yfull was able to extract 449 YSTRs from my .BAM file.

I know that there are other tests of better quality on the market that could produce more YSNPs than the Big Y test but FTDNA has the largest database and I hope that I will be able to find another match there.

Return to General DNA Discussion