New DNA Papers

General discussions regarding DNA and its uses in genealogy research

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 pm
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/e ... hort?rss=1

Working model of the deep relationships of diverse modern human genetic lineages outside of Africa
Abstract
"A major topic of interest in human prehistory is how the large-scale genetic structure of modern populations outside of Africa was established. Demographic models have been developed that capture the relationships among small numbers of populations or within particular geographical regions, but constructing a phylogenetic tree with gene flow events for a wide diversity of non-Africans remains a difficult problem. Here, we report a model that provides a good statistical fit to allele-frequency correlation patterns among East Asians, Australasians, Native Americans, and ancient western and northern Eurasians, together with archaic human groups. The model features a primary eastern/western bifurcation dating to at least 45,000 years ago, with Australasians nested inside the eastern clade, and a parsimonious set of admixture events. While our results still represent a simplified picture, they provide a useful summary of deep Eurasian population history that can serve as a null model for future studies and a baseline for further discoveries."
Last edited by dartraighe on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm
Does anyone know which haplogroups were found?

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... er_Austria

"In naming the dead: Autosomal and Y-chromosomal STR typing on human skeletal remains from an 18th/19th century aristocratic crypt in Gallspach, Upper Austria"

Abstract
"Ancient DNA analyses have shown to be a powerful tool in the joint transdisciplinary assessment of archaeological records involving human remains. In this study we set out to identify single inhumations by synoptically evaluating the historical, archaeological, anthropological and molecular records on human remains from the crypt of the aristocratic family of Hoheneck (or: Hohenegg) dating to the 18(th) and 19(th) century AD. A total of 11 individuals were under investigation, yielding complete autosomal and Y-chromosomal STR profiles for 5 persons clearly showing a family group. DNA results, anthropological data and archaeological records taken together resulted in (almost) unambiguous correlation to historical records on the persons entombed in the crypt."

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:06 pm
http://www.cell.com/current-biology/newarticles

The Neolithic Transition in the Baltic Was Not Driven by Admixture with Early European Farmers

"Y chromosomes of two of our Latvian Mesolithic samples were assigned to haplogroup R1b (the maximum-likelihood sub-haplogroup is R1b1b), which is the most common haplogroup found in modern Western Europeans "

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:50 am
More of the same old mantra. 40-50% of the males in western Europe today are descended from one man who lived 5000 years ago in western Europe. That is the reason that this paper is rubbish if they are referring to R1b.

"Thousands of horsemen may have swept into Bronze Age Europe, transforming the local population"

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/ ... population

"The finding that Yamnaya men migrated for many generations also suggests that all was not right back home in the steppe. “It would imply a continuing strongly negative push factor within the steppes, such as chronic epidemics or diseases,” says archaeologist David Anthony of Hartwick College in Oneonta, New York, who was not an author of the new study. Or, he says it could be the beginning of cultures that sent out bands of men to establish new politically aligned colonies in distant lands, as in later groups of Romans or Vikings."

Why did the epidemics not push the women out of the Steppe????????????????? Were they immune to epidemics and diseases????????????????

The Romans and the Vikings had very little genetic impact on the regions they invaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 pm
http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/03/03/113241

Abstract

"Recent ancient DNA studies have revealed that the genetic history of modern Europeans was shaped by a series of migration and admixture events between deeply diverged groups. While these events are well described in Central and Southern Europe, genetic evidence from Northern Europe surrounding the Baltic Sea is still sparse. Here we report genome-wide DNA data from 24 ancient North Europeans ranging from ~7,500 to 200 calBCE spanning the transition from a hunter-gatherer to an agricultural lifestyle, as well as the adoption of bronze metallurgy. We show that Scandinavia was settled after the retreat of the glacial ice sheets from a southern and a northern route, and that the first Scandinavian Neolithic farmers derive their ancestry from Anatolia 1000 years earlier than previously demonstrated. The range of Western European Mesolithic hunter-gatherers extended to the east of the Baltic Sea, where these populations persisted without gene-flow from Central European farmers until around 2,900 calBCE when the arrival of steppe pastoralists introduced a major shift in economy and established wide-reaching networks of contact within the Corded Ware Complex."

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:21 am
dartraighe wrote:http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/03/03/113241

Abstract

"Recent ancient DNA studies have revealed that the genetic history of modern Europeans was shaped by a series of migration and admixture events between deeply diverged groups. While these events are well described in Central and Southern Europe, genetic evidence from Northern Europe surrounding the Baltic Sea is still sparse. Here we report genome-wide DNA data from 24 ancient North Europeans ranging from ~7,500 to 200 calBCE spanning the transition from a hunter-gatherer to an agricultural lifestyle, as well as the adoption of bronze metallurgy. We show that Scandinavia was settled after the retreat of the glacial ice sheets from a southern and a northern route, and that the first Scandinavian Neolithic farmers derive their ancestry from Anatolia 1000 years earlier than previously demonstrated. The range of Western European Mesolithic hunter-gatherers extended to the east of the Baltic Sea, where these populations persisted without gene-flow from Central European farmers until around 2,900 calBCE when the arrival of steppe pastoralists introduced a major shift in economy and established wide-reaching networks of contact within the Corded Ware Complex."

Davidski
"It shows that largely unadmixed Western Hunter-Gatherers (WHG) lived in the South Baltic region at least as late as ~4,450 calBCE, which is the date assigned to the four Narva samples in their dataset. So now we have a plausible explanation for the inflated WHG-related ancestry in modern-day Balts and Northern Slavs."

Gioiello and I have stated many times that the Baltics was peopled by the Villabruna clan and now we have the proof.

YDNA:
R- Z2110 (KV7Y2)
MtDNA:
K1a1b1e/HQ176413
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:14 am
dartraighe wrote:Gioiello and I have stated many times that the Baltics was peopled by the Villabruna clan and now we have the proof.

But SHG are all hg. I2 (and very likely there was there also the only I1 survived). No R1b, and R1a came from Samara with the Balto-Slav languages. We need that R1b is found in Western European aDNA, as I think (and hope) it will be found.

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:55 pm
Gioiello wrote:
dartraighe wrote:Gioiello and I have stated many times that the Baltics was peopled by the Villabruna clan and now we have the proof.

But SHG are all hg. I2 (and very likely there was there also the only I1 survived). No R1b, and R1a came from Samara with the Balto-Slav languages. We need that R1b is found in Western European aDNA, as I think (and hope) it will be found.

There is a lot of WHG in the Baltic population which shows that some of the Villabruna clan arrived there after the Younger Dryas and Mesolithic R1b has also been found there.

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:27 am
This is my K15. Just look at the huge amount of WHG that I have. There is no known migration from the Baltic to Ireland and the North Sea and Atlantic dna I got from the Villabruna clan. So I make it 79.23 WHG in total for me.

Admix Results (sorted):
# Population Percent
1 North_Sea 34.43
2 Atlantic 31.38
3 Baltic 13.42

4 Eastern_Euro 7.33
5 West_Asian 5.47
6 West_Med 5.38
7 South_Asian 1.95

Villabruna K15 M236020
Admix Results (sorted):
# Population Percent
1 North_Sea 40.49
2 Baltic 28.24
3 Atlantic 22.57

4 Eastern_Euro 8.69

YDNA:
R- Z2110 (KV7Y2)
MtDNA:
K1a1b1e/HQ176413
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 am
dartraighe wrote:This is my K15. Just look at the huge amount of WHG that I have. There is no known migration from the Baltic to Ireland and the North Sea and Atlantic dna I got from the Villabruna clan. So I make it 79.23 WHG in total for me.

Admix Results (sorted):
# Population Percent
1 North_Sea 34.43
2 Atlantic 31.38
3 Baltic 13.42

4 Eastern_Euro 7.33
5 West_Asian 5.47
6 West_Med 5.38
7 South_Asian 1.95

Villabruna K15 M236020
Admix Results (sorted):
# Population Percent
1 North_Sea 40.49
2 Baltic 28.24
3 Atlantic 22.57

4 Eastern_Euro 8.69

Read what Matt posts on "Eurogenes blog". Thus is he underestimating WHG?

Anatolia Neolithic models on PCA (to some extent) as like 20:80 WHG:Levant Neolithic. Then Early Neolithic Europe models like 28:72 WHG:Levant Neolithic. Then there's about another 10-15 WHG to get to something like the MN samples we have, so 38:62 or 43:57.
So that implies about means 8% admixture in Early Neolithic and then 10-15% admixture more for MN, assuming they're mixing with pure WHG.
But if they're mixing with populations that were, say, similar to 50:50 WHG:Levant Neolithic who already existed in South Europe, you'd have to double the admixture. That's less plausible for MN in West and Central Europe (Iberia and Germany) where we know Loschbour, etc existed and La Brana in Northern Spain, but maybe happened if the EN picked up their admixture through Greece and Italy on the way to Iberia and Germany, and those populations were somewhere on a WHG-Anatolia Neolithic cline already.
Next

Return to General DNA Discussion