G2a in Norway...

YDNA:
R1b-L21+
MtDNA:
U5b1b1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 pm
I have finally caught a break in my search for a reason behind my family's numerous G2a matches along my maternal side in Relative Finder!

As last week or so found a cousin of my paternal aunt's whom had mtDNA G2a:

4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% (7cM) shared
1 segment
Estimated that your common ancestor was born before 1873.
G2a R1b1b2a1a1*

After some correspondence i found out that his maternal line is infact Norwegian, his maternal ancestry comes from his Norwegian grandmother, whom came from Valders, which is in one of the few valleys that connect Western and Eastern Norway via a summer land route and have done so since the middle ages at least. My maternal ancestry is from the western side of this same region in the Aurland region, and it is also the same region that have been a traditional migration route for Norwegian Romani among others, and i think we are here seeing a weak support of the Romani/Tatar theory that goes something like this;

The Swedish king Charles XII after his extended stay inside the Ottoman empire following his catastrophic defeat at the hands of the Russian army, started recruiting mercenaries during his return to Sweden, and that this new army consisted of various ethnic groups, including Jews, Germans, Turks, Tatars, Romani ect, as accounted by among others, the Danish ambassador to Vienna whom is said to have witnessed them as they passed through this region going northwards to liberate Stralsund from the siege it was experiencing at the hands of a multinational army. The army returned to Sweden proper after the wars.

Another story, this from Estonia;

The Romani people first appeared to Estonia in the 17th century. According to rumors, they were first part of Swedish King Charles XII's Romani orchestra which he, after spending a winter in Laiuse, left behind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laiuse_Romani_language

This would suggest that the G2a matches along my maternal line could be linked to such a Tatar/Romani fusion during or after the Great Northern Wars.

My maternal G2a matches:

3rd to 5th Cousin
0.53% (40cM) shared
2 segments
Estimated that your common ancestor was born between 1803 and 1903.
G2a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% (11cM) shared
1 segment
Estimated that your common ancestor was born before 1903.
G2a

Volga Tatar.
4th to Distant Cousin
0.07% (5cM) shared
1 segment
Eastern Europe
G2a R1a1a*

3rd to 5th Cousin
0.51% (38cM) shared
2 segments
Estimated that your common ancestor was born between 1803 and 1903.
G2a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% (11cM) shared
1 segment
G2a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% (11cM) shared
1 segment
G2a

And would explain the other confirmed (we have numerous unconfirmed matches) Tatar/Chuvash matches we are seeing along the same side of my family:

Mishar Tatar.
4th to Distant Cousin
0.07% (5cM) shared
1 segment
Eastern Europe
T1a1 R1b1b1

Chuvash.
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.16% (12cM) shared
1 segment
Eastern Europe
U5b1e N1c1*

So, next i will look at all G2a whom i share with ect and will look for a similar link....
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

YDNA:
R-YP431
MtDNA:
H5a1-T152C!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 am
OK - I edited (took it away). I f you edit your posting, it will be gone for ever...
Last edited by Aquila on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YDNA:
R1b-L21+
MtDNA:
U5b1b1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:47 pm
Misunderstanding cleared, moving back on topic!
Last edited by evon on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

Return to Haplogroup G (mtDNA)