Father got his results - J1c8, looking for information!

YDNA:
I1*
MtDNA:
U5a1b4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:12 pm
Hi there,
My parents just got their results back from 23&me and it turns out my father's mitochondrial DNA is J1c8 (I had a funny feeling he would be J haha). I had a quick look online about the haplogroup but i didn't find much about J1c8. One interesting thing i did find is that those with haplogroup J tend to produce more body heat - My father has always been constantly overheating and sweating even in relatively moderate temperatures, sounds like this might be the reason.

Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone knew much about J1c8 in particular in terms of geography, or individual sub-groups or any other quirks such as that mentioned above. However i did find that it is common (relatively) in Northwest Europe, and particularly so in Ireland, Britain, and to a lesser extent Scandinavia and mainland NW Europe - This seems to fit genaeology pretty well as his mother's mother's family were from around Cheshire/Lancashire in Western Britain.

I'd just be interested to see if anyone has any more information about J1c8 that i don't have.

Thanks a lot, :)
Sam Jackson

YDNA:
R1b-SRY2627
MtDNA:
J1c8
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:40 pm
Jackson wrote:Hi there,
My parents just got their results back from 23&me and it turns out my father's mitochondrial DNA is J1c8 (I had a funny feeling he would be J haha). I had a quick look online about the haplogroup but i didn't find much about J1c8. One interesting thing i did find is that those with haplogroup J tend to produce more body heat - My father has always been constantly overheating and sweating even in relatively moderate temperatures, sounds like this might be the reason.

Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone knew much about J1c8 in particular in terms of geography, or individual sub-groups or any other quirks such as that mentioned above. However i did find that it is common (relatively) in Northwest Europe, and particularly so in Ireland, Britain, and to a lesser extent Scandinavia and mainland NW Europe - This seems to fit genaeology pretty well as his mother's mother's family were from around Cheshire/Lancashire in Western Britain.

I'd just be interested to see if anyone has any more information about J1c8 that i don't have.

Thanks a lot, :)
Sam Jackson

I don't have any info that you haven't already found yourself, but I do assure you there are more of us out there! My mito-dna is J1c8 and I'm assuming English maybe lowland Scots, can't say for sure as it is all the more difficult trying to trace an Mtdna line due to the constant surname changes.

MtDNA:
J1c3i
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 pm
Only 3 results posted to my "J subclades -where from?" spreadsheet. Far NW Europe (British Isles) to Germany/W Poland. At an estimated age of 6,177.1 years, I'd expect J1c8's range could be even farther, especially if absorbed by Ashkenazi populations. Mitosearch doesn't include J1c8, so it's a wash but 23andme has a J1c8 thread and J1c8 seems to be mainly N European: UK/Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany/Poland, and Russia:
https://www.23andme.com/you/community/thread/8305/

I'd run the mtdna analysis tool to verify the haplogroup and see if you have any interesting extras or mismatches:
http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap-new/

Oh, and kindly add the location of your eldest mitochondrial ancestress to my spreadsheet, if you like:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... n_US#gid=0
mtDNA: J1c3i
Husband/son: B1778 R-L226 Frawley from Rathkeale, Limerick, Ireland
Grandpa: 259187 R-L21 DF13+ Griffith from Cardigan, Wales
M102536
23andme V3 upgrade, I'm on openSNP

Return to Haplogroup J (mtDNA)