K1a24a

YDNA:
Q-M3
MtDNA:
K1a24a
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm
I am new to the forum and to genetic genealogy. Recently I sent a sample of my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project for analysis. The results were interesting. The analysis of the Y chromosome indicated that my paternal ancestry was Native American as I had the Q-M3 haplogroup. That was not a shock as I had known that from a previous analysis I had from a few years ago.

The maternal haplogroup came back K1a24a. What I am interested in finding out is where in Europe would this haplogroup most likely have arisen and where would people with this haplogroup would have come from when they came to America?

As background, I have no information about my parents or family. Nothing about my father and the only thing about my mother was that she may have been of Italian decent, but that was not certain.

From internet searches on this haplogroup it seems likely that my mother's family was not from Italy, but rather from northern Europe, perhaps Germany, France, the British Isles, Denmark or Norway.

Any further information about this haplogroup would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:49 pm
FrDAve wrote:I am new to the forum and to genetic genealogy. Recently I sent a sample of my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project for analysis. The results were interesting. The analysis of the Y chromosome indicated that my paternal ancestry was Native American as I had the Q-M3 haplogroup. That was not a shock as I had known that from a previous analysis I had from a few years ago.

The maternal haplogroup came back K1a24a. What I am interested in finding out is where in Europe would this haplogroup most likely have arisen and where would people with this haplogroup would have come from when they came to America?

As background, I have no information about my parents or family. Nothing about my father and the only thing about my mother was that she may have been of Italian decent, but that was not certain.

From internet searches on this haplogroup it seems likely that my mother's family was not from Italy, but rather from northern Europe, perhaps Germany, France, the British Isles, Denmark or Norway.

Any further information about this haplogroup would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

There are not many of you in K1a24a and only one in the upstream K1a24. Members come from Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Germany and France. Four are on the K Project Google map (select K1a24): http://www.familytreedna.com/public/mtD ... tion=mtmap Note that two from Ireland are both from Cork. There's not much to indicate a migration direction, although for most K subclades it's from Germany north to the British Isles and Scandinavia.

Bill Hurst

YDNA:
Q-M3
MtDNA:
K1a24a
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:31 pm
Thanks Bill. That was helpful. I guess us K1a24a's are a rare breed... :D I did see somewhere on the internet that Katie Couric and Stephen Colbert were in this haplogroup. I should check and see where their ancestors come from. That might be interesting. I did find it interesting that two of the four where very close to each other in county Cork.

Thanks again for your help. I will keep searching for information.

YDNA:
Q-M3
MtDNA:
K1a24a
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 pm
It's been about a year since I posted and was wondering if there is any new information the K1a24a haplogroup? I did see on one map a third person with this haplotype turned up in County Cork Ireland.

Return to Haplogroup K (mtDNA)