Surname confirmation

DNA testing for adoptees. Success Stories. Discussions.

Moderator: CeCeMoore

YDNA:
R-Z16
MtDNA:
H5a2
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Thanks so much, Robert!

Two things have happened today:

1. Paternally, I confirmed the existence of my father, as he showed up on the 1940s census, which in turn confirmed my grandfather, aunts and uncles.

2. Maternally, I regret to say I am NOT of Polish/Lithuanian Royalty; I hope you won't all look down on me now; LOL, but the project administrator confirmed the H5a2 that James' program produced. (FTDNA said I was H5a); I don't know the significance of the 2 except for the fact it would reduce the size of my circle of cousins, I suppose.

YDNA:
R-L21+, L226+
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:44 pm
ch421i3 wrote:
1. Paternally, I confirmed the existence of my father, as he showed up on the 1940s census, which in turn confirmed my grandfather, aunts and uncles.

2. Maternally, I regret to say I am NOT of Polish/Lithuanian Royalty; I hope you won't all look down on me now; LOL, but the project administrator confirmed the H5a2 that James' program produced. (FTDNA said I was H5a); I don't know the significance of the 2 except for the fact it would reduce the size of my circle of cousins, I suppose.

On your father's side, you now have the seed of research to use to trace your ancestors back several more generations via traditional research. Once you get far enough and hit your brick wall on your father's side, you can again use your Y-DNA to test other lines to see if they match your line. Check in periodically with the Melendez DNA group for any recent submissions that match your Y-DNA. Be sure to keep them informed of your Melendez ancestry as you discover it.

On your mother's side, mtDNA is not the best way to find out too much about your unknown maternal ancestors. I would not upgrade your mtDNA since these tests can only really tell you about your deep ancestry. The autosomal test (FTDNA's Family Finder) would be a good choice to find those recent unknown relatives. I would avoid Ancestry.com's autosomal test as they will not reveal the segments to you - only give you conclusions but not the supporting genetic information. 23andme has a very similar autosomal test as well - but has no Y-STR or extensive Y-SNP testing available.

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:26 pm
Have you uploaded your results to Ysearch as suggested?

Once they are uploaded, you can play around with Ysearch's research (matching) features and you never know what you may find there. It's a good plan to check Ysearch regularly as STR data is being added all the time.
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.
YDNA:
R-Z16
MtDNA:
H5a2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:36 pm
The 1940s census proved to be helpful, and I was able to find my birth mother and her parents. Genetics supported the location where they were born in Poland. Adoption papers say mother was 31 when I was born, but I think they had it wrong, and she was born in 1931. It's surprising [or not] to see the number of typos made on official documents. (For example, her maiden name was Lyba, and it was typed Lybia, and Hyrowa was spelled four different ways on the same document.) If my gut says Piszynski and Pysznyk are the same person on an older census then my tree could go back to my great grandparents at the very least.

The genetic assistance came from me contacting someone through the mtSearch; we also became friends on Facebook. I'm still not sure if we are cousins or not. We share the same 16343G on HVR2.

Except for not having pictures, the journey seems to be complete. Thanks for "listening" and giving some great advice.
Previous

Return to Adoptions