Humor, A Chuckle, Giggle, or Something Funny?

You can discuss some non-genetic or non-genealogical things here. Pull up a chair and have a beer! But if you bring up politics or religion, the barman will cut you off. The forum rules do apply here especially regarding civility.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-Z2
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 pm
19frustrated.JPG
I am having problems getting things done.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: You do not look your best today?
Writer: I cannot write. I need a can opener.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: I do not know how to help? Can you give me more details?
Writer: Over the last, 30 years there has been considerable investigation in cooking and health. Frying foods have received considerable bad remarks. In a simple Internet search, one can discover one of these cooking products of concern is acrylamide. Acrylamide forms from sugars and an amino acid that are naturally in food; it does not come from food packaging or the environment. Acrylamide has probably always been in some foods, but this wasn’t known until Swedish scientists first found it in certain foods in 2002. Acrylamide was discovered in foods in April 2002 by Eritrean scientist Eden Tareke in Sweden when she found the chemical in starchy foods, such as potato chips (potato crisps), French fries (chips), and bread that had been heated higher than 120 °C (248 °F). It was not found in food that had been boiled or in foods that were not heated. It is classified as a Group 2A carcinogen by the IARC.

In animal models, exposure to acrylamide causes tumors in the adrenal glands, thyroid, lungs, and testes. Toasting bread to a light brown color, rather than a dark brown color, lowers the amount of acrylamide. Very brown areas contain the most acrylamide. Acrylamide forms in coffee when coffee beans are roasted, not when coffee is brewed at home or in a restaurant. So far, scientists have not found good ways to reduce acrylamide formation in coffee. This search continues the pondering of the human condition, and what we should eat.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Why do you need a can opener?
Writer: I want to eat more uncooked seafood.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What about water pollution?
Writer: This is serious. I cannot write without a can opener?

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What do you mean?
Writer: During the ninetieth century, scientist considered "medieval science" to be as civilization taking a nap after the developmental years of Greek philosophy and Roman engineering. The expansion of the Indo-European culture into Europe led to barbaric wars augmented to the wars of revenge in what was called the Holy lands of ancient religions. While property and heritage created social stratification in the past, the guild system has offered improved social rank through technology.

By 1750, the industrial revolution allowed nations to shift from a slave economy to a worker economy freeing the wealthy owners from the daily care of the lower class while creating a new source of income from everyday workers needing such survival things as food and lodging. This exchange for individual free time away from the owners became extremely popular as it allowed for social advancement already expressed in a "people's movement" of enlightenment seen in the early guild system. This guild system of an apprentice taking over his master's work continued in many fields of science as seen with Michael Faraday.

At first he did not read the Latin writings concerning the 1820 discovery of electro-magnetism of Hans Christian Oersted as stated in his later writings, “I have very little to say on M. Oersted’s theory, for I must confess I do not quite understand it.” Oersted belonged to the German school of naturphilosophie which did not influence people like Faraday who were interested in the chemistry as taught by their teacher. For example, we read from Faraday's journal,". . . On a sudden Sir H Davy observed the diamond to burn visibly . . . This phenomenon of actual and vivid combustion, which has never been observed before, was attributed by Sir H Davy to be the free access of air; it became more dull as carbonic acid gas formed and did not last so long." (From the journal kept by Faraday of his continental tour with Sir Humphry Davy. In Brian Bowers and Lenore Symons (eds.), Curiosity Perfectly Satisfied: Faraday's Travels in Europe 1813-1815 (1991), 75-6.).

The atomic theory too did not include ancient Greek ideas of the electric. However, Faraday discovered the chemical he called bicarbuet of hydrogen (c1825), and later called by Eihard Mitscherlich benzin or benzene. This chemical had strange properties which needed to be checked out. Not only did benzene have strange properties, so did ionic compounds like table salt. On 29 August 1831, he discovered electro-magnetic induction. This idea appeared to be important in chemistry as well as in physics. As in any new field, someone had to determine how things were going to be named.

Michael Faraday corresponded with William Whewell concerning names as revealed in the following prose, ". . . All your names I and my friend approve of or nearly all as to sense & expression, but I am frightened by their length & sound when compounded. As you will see I have taken deoxide and skaiode because they agree best with my natural standard East and West. I like Anode & Cathode better as to sound, but all to whom I have shewn them have supposed at first that by Anode I meant No way. (Letter to William Whewell, 3 May 1834. In Frank A. J. L. James (ed.), The Correspondence of Michael Faraday (1993), Vol. 2, 181.). And so for ionic compounds and batteries, the words were finalized, ". . . the names used are anode cathode anions cations and ions . . ." (Letter to William Whewell, 15 May 1834. In Frank A. J. L. James (ed.), The Correspondence of Michael Faraday (1993), Vol. 2, 186.). Eventually, after the washings, the solid state must exhibit these properties too, " . . . The former I now call Paramagnetic & the latter are the diamagnetic. The former need not of necessity assume a polarity of particles such as iron has with magnetic, and the latter do not assume any such polarity either direct or reverse . . ." (Letter to William Whewell, 22 Aug 1850. In L. Pearce Williams (ed.), The Selected Correspondence of Michael Faraday (1971), Vol. 2, 589.). ". . . all this being a consequence of the solitary & isolated system of investigation . . ." (Letter to C. Ransteed, 16 Dec 1857. In L. Pearce Williams (ed.), The Selected Correspondence of Michael Faraday (1971), Vol. 2, 888.).

During this time, the term "dielectric" was finalized with Michael Faraday by William Whewell. In the solid state, a dielectric is an electrical insulator that may be polarized by the action of an applied electric field. If a dielectric is composed of weakly bonded molecules such that the dipole is characterized by its dipole moment, those molecules not only become polarized, but also reorient so that their symmetry axis aligns along the field. This is a type of dipolar polarization that is a polarization particular to polar molecules. Another type is ionic polarization which is a polarization caused by relative displacements between positive and negative ions in ionic crystals. Every material has a dielectric constant labeled by k and characterized by the ratio of the field without the dielectric (Eo) to the net field (E) with the dielectric: k = Eo/E. E is always less than or equal to Eo, so the dielectric constant is greater than or equal to 1. The larger the dielectric constant, the more charge can be stored. Experimentally, completely filling the space between capacitor plates with a dielectric increases the capacitance by a factor of the dielectric constant: C = k Co, where Co is the capacitance with no dielectric between the plates. This type of thought differs from the medieval science of the middle ages, and the so called liberal "party" culture of the early twenty-first century when people used this technology.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: I think we better find a can opener.
Writer: You see what I mean?

YDNA:
R1b-L48-Z2
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 am
20 Feeling better.JPG
Feeling a lot better after getting the best drink there is

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Are you alright?
Writer: Yes, my headache is going away.

sVD Dew Singers: "When you say sVD Dew, just put your mind on hold.
Do what you're told, and open a cold,
refreshing sVD Dew. Just watch your life go by.
No need to try. When you've got sVD Dew." Ohhhhh sVD Dew!"

Mysterious Chorus Voice: You have to do something.
Writer: I can copy some things from the Internet.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What about?
Writer: Insects and muscles . . .

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Why?
Writer: . . . . because they act alike.

How insects use oxygen by an insect expert who posted on the Internet:
Insects require oxygen (diatomic molecule) to live, and produce carbon dioxide (a molecular compound of carbon and oxygen) as a waste product, just as we do. To say insects breathe, though, might be a stretch. They don't have lungs, nor do they transport oxygen through their circulatory systems. Instead, insects use a series of tubes called a tracheal system to perform gas exchange throughout the body. Gas (no definite shape nor volume) exchange, or what we think of as breathing, is accomplished mostly by simple diffusion through the cell walls. Air (a mixture) enters the spiracles, and moves through the tracheal system. Each tracheal tube ends in a moist tracheole, a specialized cell for exchanging gases with another cell in the body. When air reaches the tracheole, oxygen (molecules of an element) dissolves into the tracheole liquid. Through simple diffusion, oxygen then moves to the living cell and carbon dioxide enters the tracheal tube. Carbon dioxide (molecules of a compound), a metabolic waste, exits the body through the spiracles. This explains the movement of gases, but can insects control their respiration? Yes, to some degree. The insect opens and closes the spiracles using muscle contractions. An insect living in a dry, desert environment will keep the spiracle valves closed to prevent moisture loss. Insects can also pump muscles throughout their bodies to force air down the tracheal tubes, thus speeding up the delivery of oxygen. In heat or under stress, insects can even vent air by alternately opening different spiracles and using muscles to expand or contract their bodies. Still, diffusion places some limits on the insect body. The rate of gas diffusion cannot be controlled, and only proves efficient for small organisms. This limiting factor probably benefits us, as otherwise we might find ourselves living with giant-sized insects! As long as insects breathe using simple diffusion, they aren't likely to get much larger than they are now.

How muscles work by Internet expert:
There are three types of muscle:

* Skeletal muscle or "voluntary muscle" is anchored by tendons to bone and is used to affect skeletal movement such as locomotion and in maintaining posture. Though this postural control is generally maintained as a subconscious reflex, the muscles responsible react to conscious control like non-postural muscles. An average adult male is made up of 40-50% of skeletal muscle and an average adult female is made up of 30-40%.
* Smooth muscle or "involuntary muscle" is found within the walls of organs and structures such as the esophagus, stomach, intestines, bronchi, uterus, urethra, bladder, and blood vessels, and unlike skeletal muscle, smooth muscle is not under conscious control.
* Cardiac muscle is also an "involuntary muscle" but is a specialized kind of muscle found only within the heart.

Cardiac and skeletal muscles are "striated" in that they contain sarcomeres and are packed into highly-regular arrangements of bundles; smooth muscle has neither. While skeletal muscles are arranged in regular, parallel bundles, cardiac muscle connects at branching, irregular angles. Striated muscle contracts and relaxes in short, intense bursts, whereas smooth muscle sustains longer or even near-permanent contractions.

Skeletal muscle is further divided into several subtypes:

* Type I, slow oxidative, slow twitch, or "red" muscle is dense with capillaries and is rich in mitochondria and myoglobin, giving the muscle tissue its characteristic red color. It can carry more oxygen and sustain aerobic activity.
* Type II, fast twitch, muscle has three major kinds that are, in order of increasing contractile speed:
o Type IIa, which, like slow muscle, is aerobic, rich in mitochondria and capillaries and appears red.
o Type IIx (also known as type IId), which is less dense in mitochondria and myoglobin. This is the fastest muscle type in humans. It can contract more quickly and with a greater amount of force than oxidative muscle, but can sustain only short, anaerobic bursts of activity before muscle contraction becomes painful (often incorrectly attributed to a build-up of lactic acid). N.B. in some books and articles this muscle in humans was, confusingly, called type IIB.
o Type IIb, which is anaerobic, glycolytic, "white" muscle that is even less dense in mitochondria and myoglobin. In small animals like rodents this is the major fast muscle type, explaining the pale color of their flesh.

(From Guest Lecturers: Dr. A. Scott Connelly, William H. Carpenter, M.S.)

I. Fuel Utilization During Exercise
Under most circumstances, fat and carbohydrate are the fuels utilized during exercise. The degree to which each fuel acts as the primary or secondary source of energy and the efficiency with which energy is utilized depends on the prior nutrition of the athlete and the intensity and duration of the exercise. At low levels of prolonged exercise most energy needs come from fat and lesser energy needs come from carbohydrate. At higher intensity carbohydrate plays a greater role but is limited in its duration of action. Protein plays only a minor role at very high levels of energy utilization, but adequate protein intake is critical for maintenance of lean body mass to enable exercise performance.
Energy is extracted from foods in the body by converting the chemical energy stored in chemical bonds to high energy phosphate bonds in ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate). This high energy bond can be used in a number of biochemical reactions as a fuel with the conversion of ATP to ADP (adenosine diphosphate). If ADP begins to accumulate in muscle then an enzyme is activated in muscle to break down phosphocreatine (PCr) in order to restore ATP levels (PCr + ADP ® ATP + Cr). The creatine released from this reaction is converted to creatinine and excreted in the urine. The stores of PCr are extremely limited and could only support muscle ATP levels for about 10 seconds if there were no other sources of ATP. Since ATP is provided from other sources, PCr ends up being a major energy source in the first minute of strenuous exercise. PCr has the major advantage of being localized in the muscle so that it can rapidly restore and maintain ATP levels for intense exercises such as sprinting, jumping, lifting, and throwing.
II. Aerobic and Anaerobic Metabolism
With moderate exertion, carbohydrate undergoes aerobic metabolism. Under these conditions, oxygen is used and the carbohydrate goes through both the Embden-Meyerhoff pathway of anaerobic metabolism in which glucose is converted to lactate, but, prior to the conversion of pyruvate to lactate, pyruvate enters the Krebs Cycle in mitochondria where oxidative phosphorylation results in a maximum extraction of energy from each molecule of glucose. If there is plenty of oxygen available and the exercise is of low to moderate intensity, then the pyruvate from glucose is converted to carbon dioxide and water in the mitochondria. Approximately 42 ATP equivalents can be produced from a single glucose molecule compared to only 4 ATP with anaerobic metabolism. Aerobic metabolism supplies energy more slowly than anaerobic metabolism, but can be sustained for long periods of time up to 5 hours. The major advantage of the less efficient anaerobic pathway is that it more rapidly provides ATP in muscle by utilizing local muscle glycogen. Other than PCr, it is the fastest way to resupply muscle ATP levels. Anaerobic glycolysis supplies most energy for short term intense exercise ranging from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. The disadvantages of anaerobic metabolism are that it cannot be sustained for long periods, since the accumulation of lactic acid in muscle decreases the pH and inactivates key enzymes in the glycolysis pathway leading to fatigue. The lactic acid released from muscle can be taken up by the liver and converted to glucose again (Cori Cycle), or it can be used as a fuel by the cardiac muscle directly or by less active skeletal muscles away from the actively contracting muscle.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: We have to start Act 3.
Merlin’s parallel database query thing: My big headache from calculating these trajectories is better after that delicious drink.
Writer: Okay, I think I can do it.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-Z2
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:43 am
21reading bear.JPG
A lot of preparation has to be made before a word is printed.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What are you doing with the book?
Writer: I getting ready to write the words for act 3.

Missy Mom Laurie: You have spent too much time with your silly friends. You need to do your chores around the house and do your report.
Writer: Why do I have to do the report now? I want to do the story.

Missy Mom Laurie: No report, no story . . .
Writer: I have been working on it. It is almost ready.

Missy Mom Laurie: Almost is not good enough . . . I have been waiting on your history report long enough. Let’s hear it now.

Writer: Written language starts with sounds people here, and things people see. The object becomes a reference which becomes sounds and then multiple sounds which are now drawn into figures in what is known as a letter sound in some type of ancient reference which become letter shapes with letter names. Our best records go back to people keeping records of the cattle trade and such . . .

~ 10 kya: Mid-eastern monuments and clay tokens for record keeping
~ 6.0 kya: Mesopotamian cuneiform (writing system beginning with clay food tokens)
~ 4.7 kya: Egyptian hieroglyphs (22 hieroglyphs to represent the individual consonants + one for word-initial or word-final vowels)
~ 4.0 kya: Central Egyptian Semitic alphabetic script
~ 3.6 kya: Pictorial Canaanite letters with specific meanings such as “ox” and “house” based upon what they thought was important.

~ 2.8 ~ 1.1 kya: Phoenician alphabet and cultural separation between Greek and Hebrew alphabet from the Phoenician where the order of Greek and Phoenician letters was the same with some letters now representing vowels such as "a, e, i, o, and y (upsilon)." To accommodate all twelve Greek vowels things like diphthongs were used which include the big O, omega. The phi, chi, psi constants were added because the Phoenician language had no known aspirates, and omega was added to account for the long "o" vowel sound. The new letters were placed at the end of the Greek alphabet. Some letters disappeared over time mostly because of popularity within western and eastern geographic boundaries all along the Mediterranean shores. The letter sigma became the popular variant over san which became obsolete in time while the number sampi, 900, became obsolete as a letter. It was thought to be a combination of san and pi. Another letter was the digamma or wau or fau, and it had an "F" look because it was derived from the Phoenician letter waw or vav. It later became the Latin letter "F" while the Phoenician variant also became "V, and later U, W, and Y" in Latin or the Roman language. Another interesting letter was the Phoenician Qoph. It is thought to come from a pictogram of a monkey with a body and tail, and it developed into the Greek letter Qoppa which is round like a head with a tail like a neck. It too became obsolete in Greek but in Latin it became the letter Q. The Latinas ended up in dropping four letters from the Western Greek alphabet while adapting the Etruscan letters "G" and zigzagged "S" along with other such complication. The letters J, U, W, Y, and Z were added to make the modern English alphabet which seems to be based upon the sounds each letter makes.

We now separate the alphabet by its vowels and the water or snake signs m & n which are in the middle of the alphabet. It looks like the following:
The "a" vowel group: A B C D;
The "e" vowel group: E F G/H;
The "i" vowel group: I J K L;
The ancient origin myth group: M N;
The "o" vowel group: O P Q R/S/T;
The "u" vowel group: U V W/X Y/Z
Missy Mom Laurie: That is a very good story even though it is sketchy. You can write your story now.
Writer: Thanks Missy . . . I mean mom . . . I mean Laurie . . .

YDNA:
R1b-L48-Z2
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 am
22eatingaffectsdna.JPG
Fiber helps to change DNA

Missy Mom Laurie: Have you eaten your veggies today?
Writer: No . . .

Missy Mom Laurie: Well, you are not writing that story until you finish all of your veggies.
Writer: It tastes like rabbit food.

Missy Mom Laurie: Fiber helps control your sugar spikes.
Writer: . . . but it still tastes like rabbit food.

Missy Mom Laurie: When you eat fiber like veggies your glucose is less likely to go over 140 when you complete your meal. You can then eat other things like meats or high protein veggies before you finish up with your high carbohydrate foods. This will help to keep your belly flab around your waist to a minimum and your BMI less than 23. Also long and regular sleeping habits while eating at regular times is helpful when you stay active increasing your muscle mass with exercise. You need muscles to absorb your sugar you know, and you need to keep your blood flowing after you eat. You just cannot sit all day long writing or those glucose spikes will cause hardening of arteries. They will also change and mutate your DNA. Do not you realize all bears do not write stories?

Writer: Okay, I’ll eat some veggies if I can eat some candy.
Missy Mom Laurie: You can only have your candy after you eat your veggies.

Writer: Oookay . . .
Missy Mom Laurie: People in different DNA groups eat different diets, and people who eat different diets look differently. Just like people who live in different climates and geographical topologies look differently. After all many indigenous people are often the first people who interbreed and look differently than the original people.

Writer: I’ll eat it. Look, I am eating it now . . . (yuck).

YDNA:
R1b L2/Z150+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 pm
MikeWhalen wrote:An old, blind cowboy wanders into an all-girl biker bar by mistake.
He finds his way to a bar stool and orders a shot of Jack Daniels.
After sitting there for a while, he yells to the bartender, 'Hey, you wanna hear a blonde joke?'

The bar immediately falls absolutely silent.

In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says,

'Before you tell that joke, Cowboy, I think it is only fair, Given that you are blind, that you should know five things:

1. The bartender is a blonde girl with a baseball bat.

2. The bouncer is a blonde girl.

3. I'm a 6-foot tall, 175-pound blonde woman with a black beltin karate.

4. The woman sitting next to me is blonde and a professional weight lifter.

5. The lady to your right is blonde and a professional wrestler.

Now, think about it seriously, Cowboy. Do you still wanna tell that blonde joke?'

The blind cowboy thinks for a second, shakes his head and mutters, 'No...not if I'm gonna have to explain it five times.

Now Mike that is funny!!!! My wife and I are both still laughing!! Thanks for the joke.
R1b: L2,Z49,Z142,Z12222+

YDNA:
R1b-L48-Z2
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:05 pm
23veryimportantthingso.jpg
Missing something very important?

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Do you really want me to say “ . . . that breathless charm?”
Writer: Yes.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Have you ever tried saying that?
Writer: What do you mean?

Mysterious Chorus Voice: It has too much tongue and lip motions to do to make good sense. It’s easy to get tongue tied.
Writer: Now really, think about it for a second. It is all about its sentimental meaning.

News flash <Beep Beep Beep>: Attention, attention, . . . , this is a new alert. Stupid Mouse is missing, and he is not available for this Sunday’s award show. Once again, Stupid Mouse is missing. If anyone has seen him, please report to Captain Wagg at your local police department. Stupid Mouse is unavailable for the award show this Sunday!

Mysterious Chorus Voice: How horrible! I was hoping he would win best actor again. Remember what he said about the tangent of theta?
Write: Yeah . . . Huh?

Mysterious Chorus Voice: I guess it is hard to think about the law of proportions, y1/x1 = y2/x2, when you are in the midst of an evil cloud.
Writer: It might be a publicity stunt for the show tomorrow.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Yeah? He might be the first actor to win an award for not appearing!
Writer: Hum, I do not imagine how that is possible, but you might be correct knowing Stupid Mouse.

Missy Mom Laurie: When are you going to eat those greens I got for you?
Writer: I am still looking for a can opener.

Missy Mom Laurie: You have been using that can opening excuse for some time.
Writer: It is true. I need a can opener.

Missy Mom Laurie: Why don’t you get one?
Writer: I tried.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Take mine . . . yuck, I can’t stand this anymore.
Missy Mom Laurie: See, your strange and mysterious friend had one. Why didn’t you ask?

Writer: I guess I was worried about the story so much. I did not ask.
Missy Mom Laurie: Well, now you know. Ask before you whine . . . let that be a lesson to you.

Writer: Well, okay.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-Z2
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:03 am
24smackhead.JPG
What does a pocketbook across your head mean?

Missy Mom Laurie: Did you finish cleaning the toilet?

Missy Mom Laurie: Did you finish vacuuming the sofa?

Missy Mom Laurie: Did you finish your genetics report?
Writer: Huh???

Missy Mom Laurie: You heard me. Update me on your progress . . .
Writer: Okay, First genetic genealogy . . . social rank is determined by your parents and past history based upon generation:

Parents (first three generations, Filiations [Rank in family], Agnomen [Personal nickname]);
Family (first eight generations, Cognomen [Sept or family's nickname]);
Relatives (first sixteen generations [Nomen: Clan or name of tribe]);
Tribe (first thirty to forty generations [Praenomen: Given name from parents]);
Language haplogroup (first 90 - 150 generations)
Migration group (150 - 400 generations)

Late Pleistocene (various early haplogroups [not understood in 2009 by the dog guy online, debatable results])

Early Metal Age Hg (12 kya)
Older Dryas Hg (15 kya)
World Homo Dominance (18 -25 kya)
Divergent Homo Groups (35-45 kya)
The Homo sapiens' Journey (~60 kya)

Missy Mom Laurie: Hummm . . . where do you get those generations numbers from . . . ?
Writer: They are educated guess based upon feedback I have heard.

Missy Mom Laurie: Where these poor or well to do families or both?
Writer: I would guess mostly educated people who had to work for a living.

Missy Mom Laurie: For an unscientific study, it certainly has its aspects of provoking the thoughts. What else can you say?
Writer: All living things exchange material with their surroundings, and there are terms to study.

troph = nourishment
Autotroph
*Chemoautotroph
*Photoautotroph

Heterotroph
*Chemoheterotroph
*Photoheterotroph

autotroph (inorganic) and heterotroph (organic)
organotrophic (Lewis base contains organic compounds for energy production such as to form reduced coenzymes) and lithotrophic (Lewis base contains inorganic compounds for energy production such as to form reduced coenzymes)

chemotroph (oxidizes of electron donating molecules using organic and inorganic compounds as its principle energy source) and phototrophs (solar energy)

Chemoautotrophs (synthesize all organic compounds from carbon dioxide) and Chemoheterotrophs (essential organic materials must be ingested ~ amino acids (PVT Tim Hall), lipids, sugars such as glucose)(various types of nucleo-tide-synthesis)

Writer: Carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen compounds seem to be important.

a-D-Glucose - -> glucose-6-phosphate - -> ribulose-5-phosphate can reversibly isomerize to ribose-5-phosphate
5-Phospho-a-D-ribosyl 1-pyrophosphate (PRPP) [in liver cytosol, replacement of pyrophosphate by amide(#9 on #1 beta of sugar) group of glutamine] - -> 5-Phosphoribosylamine [rate-limiting step] - -> IMP

Writer: This leads to DNA.

AMP <- - (aspartate to fumerate) IMP (glutamine to glutamate)- -> GMP

Purines [IMP](amino nitrogen of aspartate [#1], 10-formyl THF [#2,8, folate one-carbon pool (methanoyl group)], amide nitrogen of glutamine [#3,9], glycine [#4,5,7], carbon dioxide [#6, carboxyl group], glucose [ribose 5-P connected to #9], ATP energy)

Pyrimidine [Carbamoyl Phosphate - -> Orotic Acid (with PRPP)- -> UMP - -> UTP (Glutamine to Glutamate) - -> CTP](carbon dioxide's carbon [#2] and glutamine's amide nitrogen [#3] via carbamoyl phosphate, aspartate [#4,5,6,1], sugar phosphate [from PRPP] attached to ring nitrogen [#1])

Bases (Purines and Pyrimidines) - - -> Nucleosides - - -> Nucleotides - - -> Polynucleotides (Primary Structures)
Purines

Adenine = 6-amino purine
Guanine = 2-amino-6-oxy purine
Hypoxanthine = 6-oxy purine
Xanthine = 2,6-dioxy purine

Pyrimidines
Uracil = 2,4-dioxy pyrimidine
Thymine = 2,4-dioxy-5-methyl pyrimidine
Cytosine = 2-oxy-4-amino pyrimidine
Orotic acid = 2,4-dioxy-6-carboxy pyrimidine

Nucleosides
If a sugar, either ribose or 2-deoxyribose, is added to a nitrogen base, the resulting compound is called a nucleoside. Carbon 1 of the sugar is attached to nitrogen 9 of a purine base or to nitrogen 1 of a pyrimidine base. The names of purine nucleosides end in -osine and the names of pyrimidine nucleosides end in -idine. The convention is to number the ring atoms of the base normally and to use l', etc. to distinguish the ring atoms of the sugar. Unless otherwise specificed, the sugar is assumed to be ribose. To indicate that the sugar is 2'-deoxyribose, a d- is placed before the name.

Adenosine
Guanosine
Inosine - the base in inosine is hypoxanthine
Uridine
Thymidine
Cytidine

Nucleotides

Adding one or more phosphates to the sugar portion of a nucleoside results in a nucleotide. Generally, the phosphate is in ester linkage to carbon 5' of the sugar. If more than one phosphate is present, they are generally in acid anhydride linkages to each other. If such is the case, no position designation in the name is required. If the phosphate is in any other position, however, the position must be designated. For example, 3'-5' cAMP indicates that a phosphate is in ester linkage to both the 3' and 5' hydroxyl groups of an adenosine molecule and forms a cyclic structure. 2'-GMP would indicate that a phosphate is in ester linkage to the 2' hydroxyl group of a guanosine. Some representative names are:
AMP = adenosine monophosphate = adenylic acid
CDP = cytidine diphosphate
dGTP = deoxy guanosine triphosphate
dTTP = deoxy thymidine triphosphate (more commonly designated TTP)
cAMP = 3'-5' cyclic adenosine monophosphate

Polynucleotides

Missy Mom Laurie: Okay, only the words and research is missing. I am sure you will write more later?
Writer: I am sleepy . . .
Previous

Return to The Corner Pub