Of Gods and government: atheists are the least trusted?

You can discuss some non-genetic or non-genealogical things here. Pull up a chair and have a beer! But if you bring up politics or religion, the barman will cut you off. The forum rules do apply here especially regarding civility.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:20 pm
Little bit wrote:As for myself, I just hold myself accountable at all times, not having a magic "do-over" button to fall back on.

- "I hold myself accountable [to my own whims rather than any objective standard]" is another way of saying, "I am God." That is indeed a religion, though one that is thought by most Americans to be rather sociopathic.

- "I hold myself accountable [to an objective standard to which I prefer not to give a personal name]" is also a religion, typically unnamed. Quite reasonably, most Americans don't know what to think of this unnamed religion without a clear description of exactly what these objective standards are, from where they were derived, and how they are enforced.

A truly nonreligious person believes that neither humanity, nor life, nor existence, has any transcendental purpose or meaning whatsoever. Anyone who actually believes this would immediately kill himself, so we must conclude that those living people who claim such a belief are deceiving us (and probably themselves as well).

By the way, the cited article contains the quite laughable notion that we can depend on "police enforcement" to ensure social virtue. Anyone who reads history and the news with a critical eye knows that the greatest criminals past and present not only avoid police enforcement against themselves but manipulate that enforcement to propagate their evil and persecute the good.

In the words of John Adams, our second President:
---
Because we have no government, armed with power, capable of contending with human passions, unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
---
Last edited by lgmayka on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
YDNA:
I2a2a1c2a3
MtDNA:
K1b2a3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:53 pm
lgmayka wrote:
Little bit wrote:As for myself, I just hold myself accountable at all times, not having a magic "do-over" button to fall back on.

- "I hold myself accountable [to my own whims rather than any objective standard]" is another way of saying, "I am God." That is indeed a religion, though one that is thought by most Americans to be rather sociopathic.

Incredible, but thanks for posting this! Now I can understand very much better, why some people demand, that topics like religion should be banned!
Y (FXHD8) mt (D9M4P), MurtiX, DE1(DE22), DOD219, M111723 (M001628)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 pm
Mike was right: it just takes one poster to take it too far.

lgmayka wrote:

- "I hold myself accountable [to an objective standard to which I prefer not to give a personal name]" is also a religion, typically unnamed. Quite reasonably, most Americans don't know what to think of this unnamed religion without a clear description of exactly what these objective standards are, from where they were derived, and how they are enforced.

A truly nonreligious person believes that neither humanity, nor life, nor existence, has any transcendental purpose or meaning whatsoever. Anyone who actually believes this would immediately kill himself, so we must conclude that those living people who claim such a belief are deceiving us (and probably themselves as well).
---
YDNA:
I2a2a1c2a3
MtDNA:
K1b2a3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 pm
I can follow the argument, but isn't it disappointing, that single posters can really destroy an intelligent conversation between adult persons?
Y (FXHD8) mt (D9M4P), MurtiX, DE1(DE22), DOD219, M111723 (M001628)
YDNA:
J-L147.1 J1c3d L1253
MtDNA:
H
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:30 am
I agree with Z! The people that can control themselves and keep a discussion on a polite level should not be penalized by those few who can not. Simply delete their privilege.
Y J1c3d P58+ L147.1+ L222- 174- Z644- Z640- Z644- +L1252 +L1253 L1279- Z1884+ CTS5857-
FTDNA N42042
Oldest Y ancestor:
Archebald Graham, father of David b. Dec. 23, 1647 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Oldest Mt: My mother's grandmother on her Mother's side: Sonicooie b +- 1743 CNE [Cherokee Nation East]was father to Soniovie [Susannah] Sonicooie
My mother's grandmother on her father's side was 1/2 Creek Indian from Alabama

MtDNA:
J1c3i
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:19 pm
Page 3 seems to be an out-of-order repeat????? Yes, it disappointing that we can no longer have civil discussions without mud throwing - it's as they say that when you start throwing mud, everybody just ends up dirty. Nevertheless, it was good while it lasted :D
mtDNA: J1c3i
Husband/son: B1778 R-L226 Frawley from Rathkeale, Limerick, Ireland
Grandpa: 259187 R-L21 DF13+ Griffith from Cardigan, Wales
M102536
23andme V3 upgrade, I'm on openSNP
YDNA:
J-L147.1 J1c3d L1253
MtDNA:
H
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 pm
I have a DNA group[ J1c3d] that is more or less dominated, at least at our early source by several religious groups. That is what makes it an interesting haplogroup; at least to me. Sorry... but we can not discuss our origin [ or possible orgin ] because one or more of the groups gets bent totally out of shape...over nothing. Ah well. Onward and upward humans.
Y J1c3d P58+ L147.1+ L222- 174- Z644- Z640- Z644- +L1252 +L1253 L1279- Z1884+ CTS5857-
FTDNA N42042
Oldest Y ancestor:
Archebald Graham, father of David b. Dec. 23, 1647 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Oldest Mt: My mother's grandmother on her Mother's side: Sonicooie b +- 1743 CNE [Cherokee Nation East]was father to Soniovie [Susannah] Sonicooie
My mother's grandmother on her father's side was 1/2 Creek Indian from Alabama
YDNA:
D2a1b
MtDNA:
H2a4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 pm
Athiests, be buggered. I don't trust politicians of any pursuasion, they have done more sneaky stuff than all of the athiests in the world. :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to The Corner Pub