Alpine DNA Project - AlpGen Genealogy

Discussions of Geographical Genetic projects.
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 am
For FTDNA customers with paternal (Y-DNA) or maternal (mtDNA) ancestry from the Alps: the european mountain valleys stretching from Austria and Slovenia in the east through Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, France and Monaco in the west.
Core Regions: Tyrol, South Tyrol - Alto Adige, Trentino, Salzburg, Carinthia - Kärnten, Graubünden - Grisons, Sondrio, Ticino, Uri, Valais - Wallis, Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Aosta, Savoie, Hautes-Alpes.
Please join:
www.familytreedna.com/public/Alpine_DNA_Project_AlpGen_Genealogy/

Project page for admixture (DNA genome) etc. is also planned.
DNA/Admixture Central Europe (Alps, Tyrol, Dolomites, Raetia); Y-DNA J2a-L1064, J2a-L210, R1a-M17, R1b-U106 (L48-); mtDNA J1b1b, J1c1d, U5a2b2, U5b1b1. Projects : J2-M172, J2a-PF5197, Alpine DNA, ISOGG Wiki
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:32 pm
Update: Alpine DNA Project - AlpGen Genealogy, alpgen.tirolensis.info (for Mail change first Point with @)

For FTDNA customers with paternal (Y-DNA) or maternal (mtDNA) ancestry (by genealogy) from the Alps: the european mountain valleys stretching from Austria (Österreich) and Slovenia (Slovenija) in the east through Italy (Italia), Switzerland (Schweiz - Suisse - Svizzera - Svizra), Liechtenstein, Germany (Deutschland), France and Monaco in the west.
Core Alpine DNA places: Tyrol (Nordtirol, Osttirol), South Tyrol (Südtirol - Alto Adige), Trentino (Welschtirol), Salzburg, Carinthia (Kärnten - Koroška - Koruška), Styria (Steiermark - Štajerska - Stájerország), Graubünden (Grischun - Grisons - Grigioni), Sondrio (Sunder - Sünders), Ticino (Tessin), Uri, Valais (Wallis), Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Aosta (Aoste - Outa), Savoie (Savouè d’Avâl - Savoia), Hautes-Alpes (Auts Aups).
Border Alpine DNA places: Allgäu, Upper Bavaria (Oberbayern), Upper Austria (Oberösterreich - Horní Rakousy), Lower Austria (Niederösterreich - Dolní Rakousy - Alsó-Ausztria)Carniola (Kranjska - Krain - Krajna), Slovenian Littoral (Primorska - Litorale - Küstenland), Udine (Udin - Videm - Weiden), Belluno (Beilun, Belum, Belùn), Vicenza, Verona (Dietrichsbern), Brescia (Brèsa), Bergamo (Bèrghem), Lecco, Como (Còmm), Varese (Varès - Väris), Vercelli (Vërsej), Biella, Turin (Torino), Cuneo (Coni), Alpes-Maritimes (Aups Maritims), Alpes-de-Haute-Provence (Aups d'Auta Provença), Haute-Savoie (Savouè d’Amont), Vaud (Waadt - Vad), Fribourg (Freiburg), Bern (Berne - Berna), Obwalden, Schwyz (Svitto), Glarus (Glaris - Glarona - Glaruna), St. Gallen (Saint-Gall - San Gallo - Son Gagl), Vorarlberg
Rhaeto-Romance minorities (language, old culture): Romansh, Ladins, Furlan. Candidates: Nones/Solandro.
German minorities: Cimbrian (Upper German - Bavarian dialect)/Zimbern/Cimbri in Trentino, Verona, Vicenza, Belluno (Lusern, Roana, Seven Communities, Giazza/Glietzen,...) and Mócheno in Trentino.
Slovenes minorities: in Carinthia and Udine
Interesting population history: Saas Valley (isolated alemann settlers?), Anniviers (Hungarian roots?), Valdôtains (border situation, Arpitan in Italy).
Romance /French: Franco-Provençal/Arpitan/Romand, Occitan. Italian dialects: Gallo-Italian, Venet. Upper German dialects: Southern Bavarian, Central Bavarian, Low- High and Highest Alemannic, Swabian)

DNA/Admixture Central Europe (Alps, Tyrol, Dolomites, Raetia); Y-DNA J2a-L1064, J2a-L210, R1a-M17, R1b-U106 (L48-); mtDNA J1b1b, J1c1d, U5a2b2, U5b1b1. Projects : J2-M172, J2a-PF5197, Alpine DNA, ISOGG Wiki

YDNA:
R1a1a1a R-L664
MtDNA:
U5b2b2 PhyloTree
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 am
My maternal grandfather was born in Steyr, Upper Austria and came to the States as a teen just before WWI. I don't know what his DNA (Y and mtDNA) haplogroups were. When my Family Finder test comes back, I suppose about 25% of it (autosomal) will have been inherited from him.

I keep waiting for some interesting posts. But it seems dead in the water. My Family Finder has no great surprises. It looks like I might have a connection with Bohemia. That sort of thing was to be expected (Austro-Hungary Empire).
Last edited by PDHOTLEN on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mitosearch: G986T
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:25 am
PDHOTLEN wrote:My maternal grandfather was born in Steyr, Upper Austria and came to the States as a teen just before WWI. I don't know what his DNA (Y and mtDNA) haplogroups were. When my Family Finder test comes back, I suppose about 25% of it (autosomal) will have been inherited from him.

An AlpGen Autosomal/Admixture project is not ready yet but somehow planned. If you are interested in your maternal grandfather male line I suggest to make a Y-DNA test (maternal uncle or other male descendants if possible).

YDNA:
R1a1a1a R-L664
MtDNA:
U5b2b2 PhyloTree
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 pm
ChrisR wrote:
PDHOTLEN wrote:My maternal grandfather was born in Steyr, Upper Austria and came to the States as a teen just before WWI. I don't know what his DNA (Y and mtDNA) haplogroups were. When my Family Finder test comes back, I suppose about 25% of it (autosomal) will have been inherited from him.

An AlpGen Autosomal/Admixture project is not ready yet but somehow planned. If you are interested in your maternal grandfather male line I suggest to make a Y-DNA test (maternal uncle or other male descendants if possible).

I'm afraid my grandfather's lineage has died out in the USA. He had one brother, but that line daughtered out. And my mother was an only child.
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:26 pm
PDHOTLEN wrote:I'm afraid my grandfather's lineage has died out in the USA. He had one brother, but that line daughtered out. And my mother was an only child.

Hmm, maybe if you are really interested and lucky you can trace Y-descendants of your grandfather's brothers or uncles. But then you have to convince them to make a Y-DNA-Test. Wish you the best for your research!

YDNA:
R1a1a1a R-L664
MtDNA:
U5b2b2 PhyloTree
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 pm
ChrisR wrote:
PDHOTLEN wrote:I'm afraid my grandfather's lineage has died out in the USA. He had one brother, but that line daughtered out. And my mother was an only child.

Hmm, maybe if you are really interested and lucky you can trace Y-descendants of your grandfather's brothers or uncles. But then you have to convince them to make a Y-DNA-Test. Wish you the best for your research!

There is no one left. And I have no intention of tracking anyone down. I'll leave it to other Austrians and their descendants in the USA and Canada to have their DNA tested for the enlightenment of science.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:21 pm
UPDATE
Name indications of the Y-DNA groups: First the main haplogroup and terminal SNPs are showed, then the past should be visible by 700 year steps. Ca. year 1300 by positions of the member ancestors. Ca. year 600 by first proposed culture/location. Ca. year 100 BC by proposed culture/location in parentesis. The grouping goal is to find clusters with Common Ancestor ca. 2100 years ago and propose a culture/position. The prediction can only be made if a 37/67 marker profile is in the group and public FTDNA-Projects Matches are available. Other kits will be grouped in general clusters.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 am
Many updates since last year, latest great update: haplogroup phylogeny (beside P312 and some minor HG) was updated to latest research.
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Alp ... n=yresults
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:12 pm
ACTIVITY UPDATE:

Alpine DNA variation gives insight into frequency, migrations and suggested future testing

This is a "working title" for a "citizen science" research project. Focus for now is on Y-DNA haplogroups (ISOGG minimum variation criteria). It is not yet clear if also mtDNA and atDNA (admixture comparisons) can be integrated (maybe too less public FMS and SNP-chip results available).
First Steps:
a) find co-authors both interested in phylogeny/haplogroup and frequency/distribution analysis. Experience with Y-DNA research, Alpine regions or clades with Alpine presence is appreciated. Those Hg's should have an expert: E, G, I1, I2, J2a, J2b, R1a, U106, U152, R1b (xU106,U152)
b) Clarification data sources
c) Timeframe

Cooperative research is done online with free services.

For now the interested persons and area of competence are:
Chris R.: Tyrol, J2a, if no one else is interested: Austria, North Italy, J2b, J1, R1a, U106 and other missing areas/clades;
Wayne K.: Anabaptists, Switzerland, R1b-U106-Z326;
Steve F.: E1b-M35;
Wayne R. R.: I2a-M223;
Robert G.: South German area, I2a-L161;
Gerard C.: Celts, R1b-L21, also available for DF27, U152, P312, L11, L51, DF23 and M259, in other words R1b(xU106);
David R B., Ph.D.: Y chromosome/genetics;

Thanks, we are looking forward to hear feedback and interested persons for G, I1, I2b, Alpine France, Slovenia and maybe Northwestern Italy.

Find current project description and more public details of the research here:
Alpine DNA research public folder (for all)

Return to Geographical Projects