Multiple forums--successors

About this Genetic Genealogy Community

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 am
We now have the following:

1. http://eng.molgen.org/ (this site, of course)
2. http://s4.zetaboards.com/Sciences_and_History/index/ (my backup site)
3. http://www.dna-forum.net/ (R1a1a as global moderator, Saud as Admin)

As I see it, this site has the most momentum. My zetaboards site can remain up indefinitely as a backup resource for us (all are welcome to join) while this site can serve as a primary site.

What's the point of #3? Wouldn't it make better sense to make this site the primary one? What are your opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:47 am
It's a free market Warwick. People will choose where to go. None of us individual former members of DNA Forums can decide that X or Y forum should be closed down, or that X or Y forum should be the officially designated successor to DNA Forums. As yet (as far as I know) we have not heard from any of the moderators of DNA Forums any word to confirm that it is permanently dead, with no hope of resurrecting it on another server.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 am
Looks like there's been a Toboard catastrophe at DNA Forums and we're now seeing the spawning of new board SNP strains. I like genetic diversity but the sooner we recongregate into one board the better in my op.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:31 pm
A forum does not develop by directive. It develops through a whole lot of decisions by individuals. There is no way to FORCE everyone who posted on DNA Forums to come and post here, or anywhere else. If people like the look of this place they will come here. If they are happy here, they will stay.

Long experience of forums tells me that forums thrive if

1) There is a nucleus of knowledgeable posters who have useful and interesting things to say. They attract others. The bulk of the posts on any forum comes from a tiny percentage of posters.
2) The forum is well moderated to encourage high-quality content. A nasty atmosphere drives good people away and discourages open debate. A friendly, civil atmosphere is most likely to encourage people to stay.

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 pm
Going by post numbers it seems that this site is "winning". My only minor gripe is that its name A Genetic Genealogy Community is a mouthful. "DNA-Forum.net" was a good grab.
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:37 pm
JeanM wrote:It's a free market Warwick. People will choose where to go. None of us individual former members of DNA Forums can decide that X or Y forum should be closed down, or that X or Y forum should be the officially designated successor to DNA Forums. As yet (as far as I know) we have not heard from any of the moderators of DNA Forums any word to confirm that it is permanently dead, with no hope of resurrecting it on another server.

People are definitely free as to where to go, and I didn't mean to give the impression that there should be an official designated successor. There will be a question of focus, and but that will evolve over time. As mentioned elsewhere, I set-up the zetaboards site earlier, but that has a somewhat different mission, because I'm trying to maintain higher standards for posters and conduct.

There's a balance here between openness to admitting any and all new members and confirming who each member is. I favor the latter because I believe it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the mix.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:32 pm
@ warwick - Couldn't agree more.

Return to About forum