This forum is becoming useless

About this Genetic Genealogy Community
User avatar
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 am

MtDNA:
V9
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 am
Good ideas there.

Nonetheless, there are 11 moderators plus an administrator listed for this site so you'd think that ought to be plenty to deal promptly with spammers. Apparently not.[/quote]


I know that Mike Whalen and myself are moderators of the Whalen Surname forum, but I wouldnt have a clue how to remove the spammer from the site.
That is surely an Admin role, not the individual forum moderators. Any ideas??

Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 am

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 am
frances wrote:I know that Mike Whalen and myself are moderators of the Whalen Surname forum, but I wouldnt have a clue how to remove the spammer from the site.
That is surely an Admin role, not the individual forum moderators. Any ideas??


You could try contacting the Administrator.

I did but the spammer is still spamming. I guess nobody's at home in Admin-ville.
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.
User avatar
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 am

MtDNA:
V9
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 am
I have reported the guy, and tried to find something in the moderators control panel, but no luck...

Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 am

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 am
frances wrote:I have reported the guy, and tried to find something in the moderators control panel, but no luck...


Thanks for trying.

If the Admin doesn't bother acting on the many reports, then we will simply abandon this site and leave it to the spammers.

Meanwhile, a better organized and administered site is here: http://www.anthrogenica.com/forum.php
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.
User avatar
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB
YDNA:
R-FGC396>L199.1
MtDNA:
U5a1a1h
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:25 am
GTC wrote:
frances wrote:I have reported the guy, and tried to find something in the moderators control panel, but no luck...


Thanks for trying.

If the Admin doesn't bother acting on the many reports, then we will simply abandon this site and leave it to the spammers.

Meanwhile, a better organized and administered site is here: http://www.anthrogenica.com/forum.php


:roll:

I'll second the above. It is unfortunate that this forum may be good as dead, and no one is around to shoot down the buzzards soaring overhead.

Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:03 pm

YDNA:
J-L556
MtDNA:
H5c2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:39 pm
User rittweta is a spambot. It should be eliminated with all its posts.

Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 am

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 pm
JaG wrote:User rittweta is a spambot. It should be eliminated with all its posts.


Yep, as we keep saying. But there's nobody in the driver's seat to listen.

Anybody here speak Russian?
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.
User avatar
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 pm
Sad. I just felt comfortable here. But you need a good admin/mod team for the english forum part. Spammers are everywhere.
DNA/Admixture Central Europe (Alps, Tyrol, Dolomites, Raetia); Y-DNA J2a-L1064, J2a-L210, R1a-M17, R1b-U106 (L48-); mtDNA J1b1b, J1c1d, U5a2b2, U5b1b1. Projects : J2-M172, J2a-PF5197, Alpine DNA, ISOGG Wiki

Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 am

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:59 pm
ChrisR wrote:Sad. I just felt comfortable here. But you need a good admin/mod team for the english forum part. Spammers are everywhere.


As has been mentioned above, the mods don't appear to have the ability to ban members such as spammers.

This site was kindly set up by our Russian friends as an emergency response to the sudden demise of DNA-Forums. It doesn't seem to have gained much traction and the moderators seem to be noticeable by their absence.

I think Anthrogenica promises to be the better prospect for the long term.
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.

Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:38 am
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 am
Since my previous post in this thread, user rilttweta has managed to make it to 31 posts, all of which are spam, oldest of which is October 16 and newest is today. This particular user has been mentioned specifically in this thread several times with no action taken. It is clear that there is nobody here capable of dealing with this problem. I think I'll head on over the Anthrogenica from now on.
PreviousNext

Return to About forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest