This forum is becoming useless

About this Genetic Genealogy Community

YDNA:
R1a-L1280
MtDNA:
T2f
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 am
When almost every new post is some crap from the same spam artist one starts to not bother trying to find anything spam-free. It's becoming obvious that there is no moderation.

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am
I agree, yet the have plenty of moderators listed:

memberlist.php?mode=leaders

... however the chief moderator Grigoriev has only posted 13 times.

I think Anthrogenica is the new place to be.
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am
how to deal with spam? Forum is moderated and permanently remove spammers

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 am
filter in the registration and anti-spam images do not help already. install new registrations moderation?

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 am
Admin wrote:filter in the registration and anti-spam images do not help already. install new registrations moderation?

I think that moderating (i.e. delaying publication of) posts by new members until they have proved to be genuine members would certainly help.

Also, please put a Report User function on the profile page. It's faster to report a user as a spammer than it is to report each of their many spam posts.

And please ban spammer rilttweta !!!
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.

MtDNA:
V9
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 am
I see rilttweta is still spamming.

Admin, can you please ban this guy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:18 am
You could start by deleting spam and spammers more aggressively. Seems like the same spammer can go for a few days before anything is done. E.g. search.php?author_id=714&sr=posts who is a reincarnation of a spammer from last week. Not taking quick action just attracts more problems.

In addition, I've found it effective to require manual approval for account creation and posts from IPs listed in opm.tornevall.org and xbl.spamhaus.org. This covers most open proxies, virus infected systems, and sources of forum/wiki spam.

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 am
jlick wrote:You could start by deleting spam and spammers more aggressively. Seems like the same spammer can go for a few days before anything is done. E.g. search.php?author_id=714&sr=posts who is a reincarnation of a spammer from last week. Not taking quick action just attracts more problems.

In addition, I've found it effective to require manual approval for account creation and posts from IPs listed in opm.tornevall.org and xbl.spamhaus.org. This covers most open proxies, virus infected systems, and sources of forum/wiki spam.

^

Good ideas there.

Nonetheless, there are 11 moderators plus an administrator listed for this site so you'd think that ought to be plenty to deal promptly with spammers. Apparently not.

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:40 pm
I think the key problem here is that the hosts are Russian and thus don't read the English language threads where this spamming is occurring.

I think it's also pretty evident that the English language moderators don't come here either.

I've just PM'ed "Admin" direct asking for action on this spammer. Let's see if that's effective.

YDNA:
R1a-L1280
MtDNA:
T2f
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:21 pm
GTC wrote:I think the key problem here is that the hosts are Russian and thus don't read the English language threads where this spamming is occurring.

I think it's also pretty evident that the English language moderators don't come here either.

I've just PM'ed "Admin" direct asking for action on this spammer. Let's see if that's effective.

I would have thought that repeated use of the 'report this post' button may have alerted them to a problem. Obviously not.
Next

Return to About forum