Forum migration

About this Genetic Genealogy Community

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm
Clinton P wrote:Nice to see a few familiar faces around here.

It reminds me of the train station scene from the film 'The Great Escape'.

I'm looking forward to a fresh start.

It strikes me as the day after Armageddon, with the stunned survivors looking at each other saying "What just happened?"
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:51 pm
Any news?
greystone wrote:Can anyone provide reliable information about the fate of DNA Forums?

Regards

Andy
Y: O3a3c
mt: J1c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:25 pm
GTC wrote:
Yorkie wrote:I note that another alternative forum has sprung up too called 'DNA Forum', on http://www.dna-forum.net/ and several people who formerly posted on the 'old' DNA Forums appear to have joined.

Thanks Yorkie, I've joined over there too.

It's a great pity if we've lost the contents of George's site. I think he got the design pretty right, and vBulletin is a good forum platform.

(How long until Rokus finds us? :lol: )

GTC,
Do you know, I was just thinking that very same thing! Doubtless he will put in an appearance at some point, when least expected. As the Job's Comforter of genetic genealogy, 'Rokus' has a great talent for offering at any given time that which people least wish to hear...
YDNA:
Z220, L484
MtDNA:
T2f3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:07 am
Yorkie wrote:As the Job's Comforter of genetic genealogy, 'Rokus' has a great talent for offering at any given time that which people least wish to hear...

So, we miss him, right? Like a toothache, after the tooth is pulled. At least we used to have a tooth...

I ran across his blog recently, and I must admit some of it was kind of interesting. But he hasn't posted there lately, either:

http://rokus01.wordpress.com/2010/04/19 ... in-revise/
R1b-P312, Z196, Z209, Z220, L484+ YSearch 6UUM5
Avatar: keelboat or batteau in Shenandoah River, detail of 1807 painting of Harpers Ferry (now West) Virginia by William Roberts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm
Grigoriev,
Spaceba !
Britanicus ex Clacks son, DNA Forums
U-152+ PF4363+
4jdg5, mtdna v,
PF4363 match to Hap I in Sardinia
Clarkson ,Kipling, Parker

YDNA:
R1a1a-L448
MtDNA:
K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm
I just arrived in this lifeboat. The connection to the forum times out, BUT if you go on to another site and then press the return arrow, the forum may turn up without a timeout. This works on Firefox at least. I didnt manage to reproduce it on Chrome.

So perhaps those who are here havent been missed yet, and the fault remains undiscovered, or the server may be showing an old index page, I didnt stop to examiine it, just tried to get in and got another timeout .

p.

YDNA:
R1a1a-L448
MtDNA:
K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm
addendum:

the server reckognized me and logged me in (as paulhofseth), but does not seem to respond further. The latest date on any theme is at the beginning of march and the calendar seems stuck at march 3.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:56 pm
@ ph - you are probably seeing a cached version, probably cached on your own computer by Firefox, since you are not seeing it on Chrome. DNA Forums is defunct. From what Vince T has posted here and elsewhere, I gather that the owner stopping paying for its hosting on 6 March.

YDNA:
R1a1a1b1a1b1
MtDNA:
H1bg
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:20 am
I want to thank all those who've worked to make this site possible. I really miss the "old" dna-forums.org, and like just about everyone else I'm curious as to what happened. Hope George is okay.

At least internet migration is fraught with fewer dangers (hopefully) than our ancestors faced in their own migrations. :D
Y-DNA ancestor: Johan Buchhammer, b. Germany 1729; to America 1749
mtDNA ancestor: Marie Anne Berda dit Picard, b. MS gulf coast, 1727

3 ggp surnames: Buchhammer (Bookhammer), Gregg, White, Smith, Mogle, Carle, Keith, Walker, Fry, Schoenfelt, Clapper, Hetrick, Yingling, -, Clapper, Foutz, Weaver (orig. Weber), Delong, Blickenstaff, Hauver, Koch, -, Roll, Weaver (Weber), Pons, -, Reeb, Peter, Canet, Manent, Ryan, Ladner

Avatar: Self, father, grandfather, g-grandfather

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm
gbook wrote:I want to thank all those who've worked to make this site possible. I really miss the "old" dna-forums.org, and like just about everyone else I'm curious as to what happened. Hope George is okay.

At least internet migration is fraught with fewer dangers (hopefully) than our ancestors faced in their own migrations. :D

I'm working on the script for a TV docudrama about the forum migration.
PreviousNext

Return to About forum