Humor, A Chuckle, Giggle, or Something Funny?

You can discuss some non-genetic or non-genealogical things here. Pull up a chair and have a beer! But if you bring up politics or religion, the barman will cut you off. The forum rules do apply here especially regarding civility.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 am
10 thebestoftimes.JPG
There are always external constraints influencing the best of works.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: I have a secret I want to tell you?
Writer: I know that . . . I have already done it, but I will do it again, for you.

Original Score Begins Playing:
Dinglying Dinglying Dinglying . . .

Opening Advertisement
Poottay Flakes, the stuff of champions, are more than pretty good. They are the breakfast cereal with something more than get up and go because they have the secret ingredient we call zappo making them the Lucky Stripes of great taste. So, the next time when you are in the cereal aisle of your favorite grocery store do not resist picking up some delicious smoking good Poottay Flakes; Umm Umm tremendous.

Preamble of Show

It all began in the usual way. It was a dark and clear sky night. It had been a long hard day's work. Now, it was a little past midnight. Strange glowing lights appeared in the sky falling in the distance. The weary eyes of David Architect burned with fatigue, stopping him in his daily quest home. As he regained his sight, the glow faded as he pledged to return in the morning.

When the bright glowing sun rose early in the morning, it was not hot. It was not cold. It was not wet. It was not dry. It was nice. It was very nice. Looking out the window, the birds were playful. It was as if they were laughing, laughing as if there were overtones of something joyful. It was an oath of something so incredible; it was nested within something we all think about when we are in love. Love such as what is found within the heart of someone who was cleaning oneself into something new and happy and playful. Birds entreat each day to waiting ears: the truth. Such faithfulness is a sound of joy, and it signals growth in compassion beyond the meaning of what has been really done.

Opening Credits

The all new Tasty Stink-a- ogie Chop presents “I am Hungry” in all new wonderful rainbow colors, a WezyMu production!

Starring: The Incredible Snowflakes; The Marvelous Goatheads; The Awesome Holy Ones; Capt. Wagg and the other officials; And introducing David Architect, Palmolive, Stealthy Platarat, JJJ, She Imp, the Dame, the usual gang of extras, and our special guest stars the Unpredictable PPs..

Introduction Advertisement
My applesauce, it’s my real applesauce! . . . Served with our Tasty Stink-a- ogie Chops too. And to cook those chops try picking up our new stick-free copper plated cooking pan. This is the real thing. It spreads the heat to cook those tasty slices in less than five minutes on each side. And do not worry about cleaning with our amazing Alice technology. Just toss it in the stink, and zap, bam, whammo . . . all cleaned and dried. Perfect for those hungry stomach sounds; and far cheaper than those other imitations; just call our number for a sales pitch to see how low we will go.

Act 1, Scene 3: The Need for Classification!

Capt. Wagg:
I am really interested in the radioactive thermobaric banana with a pinch of salt (hic), and the lights in the sky. Can you add any detail?

Wisp:
You really want the details? Do you remember me quoting that the banana belongs to the genus of flowering plants called Musa created in 1753 by Carl Linnaeus from the Arabian word mauz or Antonius Musa?

Capt. Wagg:
Yeah?
Wisp:
Well, clouds and light go together.

Capt. Wagg:
Okay, what are the details?
Wisp:
Swedish taxonomist Carl von Linnes (1707 - 1778), Carolus Linnaeus, constructed a binomial classification system of living things. He is often called the Father of Taxonomy. His father was the first in his ancestry to adopt a permanent last name; prior to that, ancestors had used the patronymic naming system of Scandinavian countries. Many Celtic, Iberian, Slavic, English, and Scandinavian surnames originate from patronyms.

Linnaeus system was quickly imitated and used by scientist all over the world. In 1761, he was granted nobility. The German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote: "With the exception of Shakespeare and Spinoza, I know no one among the no longer living who has influenced me more strongly." Within Homo sapiens he proposed five taxa of a lower (unnamed) rank. These categories were Africanus, Americanus, Asiaticus, Europeanus, and Monstrosus. They were based on place of origin at first, and later on skin colour.

Each race had certain characteristics that he considered endemic to individuals belonging to it. Native Americans were choleric, red, straightforward, eager and combative. Africans were phlegmatic, black, slow, relaxed and negligent. Asians were melancholic, yellow, inflexible, severe and avaricious. Europeans were sanguine and pale, muscular, swift, clever and inventive. The "monstrous" humans included such entities as the "agile and fainthearted" dwarf of the Alps, the Patagonian giant, and the monorchid Hottentot [Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Pastures].

Linnaean taxonomy led many people to take a different look at the world. The French naturalist, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744 - 1829) attempted to classify clouds based upon the popular French word usage of the time around 1802 in a paper published in Annuaire Méteorologique. Even though scientist did not accept his cloud naming system, they did like his use of the word biology in 1805.

Lamarck today is known for his work in invertebrate zoology and one of the earliest theories of evolution. These earlier works inspired people to find names for clouds, and so during late 1802, an English manufacturing chemist, pharmacist, and amateur meteorologist, Luke Howard, developed the nomenclature of the clouds. Chemist Howard who wrote the first textbook on weather used Latin names to describe clouds as did Linnaeus did for living things. Using the language of the church, there was the heap cloud, the layer cloud, and the curl of hair cloud. The rain cloud was added later.
Scientist seemed to enjoy using this classification, and his papers were reprinted in 1813 by Thomas Forster. German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe also popularized Howard's nomenclature in his weather journals and poetry. Before Howard's classification, clouds were labeled by their darkness, color and form. Howard's paper "On the Modification of Clouds" was presented to the Askesian Society. As a matter of fact, he did some much work; he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1821. Even today, Howard influences weather doctors like Keith C. Heidorn to write essays about him.

People are still interested in clouds more than ever today. About 60% of the Earth’s surface is covered by clouds at any given time, even though clouds occupy only 7% of the troposphere’s total volume [Lelieveld et al., 1989; Pruppacher and Jaenicke, 1995]. Clouds are formed when air containing water vapor is cooled below a critical temperature called the dew point. The resulting moisture condenses into droplets on microscopic dust particles (condensation nuclei) in the atmosphere. The air is normally cooled by expansion during its upward movement in what is called air parcels. Water in the gaseous form exists in any parcel of air with relative humidity greater than 0%. If the amount of water vapor (and other environmental conditions) is such that the relative humidity of the air parcel reaches 100%, meteorologists say that the parcel is "saturated." Under conditions of saturation, water in the vapor form can change its phase from vapor to liquid. When water vapor condenses in the atmosphere, the conservation of energy can be applied. The molecular interaction of the particle and dust surface warms the surrounding air due to the release of energy from the decrease in kinetic energy of the particle. For example, the contact with the dust's surface decreases the rotation energy of the water molecule. This leads to an increase in air temperature where the condensation is occurring. When certain types of cloud droplets become too big because they consume too much water from merging, they become too heavy, and gravity helps them to fall with an average speed of maybe fourteen miles per hour. Snow falls slower because they are big and puffy. And now we find new things to classify that are older than civilization itself.

Capt. Wagg:
So, that is how they are classified.
Wisp:
There is no genome for clouds or light. However, the need for classifications is the key.

Capt. Wagg:
Can you detail please . . . I am a still a little lost about the Doc?

Closing Advertisement
Thunder Dude: Your shiny and soft hair makes me wanting some uncooked crispy carrots.
Book: . . . that’s really cool.
Thunder Dude: <crunch> How do you keep it up baby?
Book: I use Smoke a Zen, a revolutionary new and trendy hair product to put the pep back into your locks.
Thunder Dude: Mmmm . . . Smoke a Zen . . .
Book: Yep, better than a donut.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:53 am
11 thegang.JPG
I need some help to think about all of these things.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Where did all of those people come from?
Writer: I just picked them up on the way to make everything better.

Opening Advertisement
Poottay Flakes, the stuff of champions, are more than pretty good. They are the breakfast cereal with something more than get up and go because they have the secret ingredient we call zappo making them the Lucky Stripes of great taste. So, the next time when you are in the cereal aisle of your favorite grocery store do not resist picking up some delicious smoking good Poottay Flakes; Umm Umm tremendous.

Preamble of Show

It all began in the usual way. It was a dark and clear sky night. It had been a long hard day's work. Now, it was a little past midnight. Strange glowing lights appeared in the sky falling in the distance. The weary eyes of David Architect burned with fatigue, stopping him in his daily quest home. As he regained his sight, the glow faded as he pledged to return in the morning.

When the bright glowing sun rose early in the morning, it was not hot. It was not cold. It was not wet. It was not dry. It was nice. It was very nice. Looking out the window, the birds were playful. It was as if they were laughing, laughing as if there were overtones of something joyful. It was an oath of something so incredible; it was nested within something we all think about when we are in love. Love such as what is found within the heart of someone who was cleaning oneself into something new and happy and playful. Birds entreat each day to waiting ears: the truth. Such faithfulness is a sound of joy, and it signals growth in compassion beyond the meaning of what has been really done.

Opening Credits

The all new Tasty Stink-a- ogie Chop presents “I am Hungry” in all new wonderful rainbow colors, a WezyMu production!

Starring: The Incredible Snowflakes; The Marvelous Goatheads; The Awesome Holy Ones; Capt. Wagg and the other officials; And introducing David Architect, Palmolive, Stealthy Platarat, JJJ, She Imp, the Dame, the usual gang of extras, and our special guest stars the Unpredictable PPs..

My applesauce, it’s my real applesauce! . . . Served with our Tasty Stink-a- ogie Chops too. And to cook those chops try picking up our new stick-free copper plated cooking pan. This is the real thing. It spreads the heat to cook those tasty slices in less than five minutes on each side. And do not worry about cleaning with our amazing Alice technology. Just toss it in the stink, and zap, bam, whammo . . . all cleaned and dried. Perfect for those hungry stomach sounds; and far cheaper than those other imitations; just call our number for a sales pitch to see how low we will go.

Act 1, Scene 4: The Poker Face

Capt. Wagg:
Like I said before . . . I am a still a little lost about the Doc?

Wisp:
In a way, it has to do with cards.

Capt. Wagg:
I know I am going to get in trouble for this, but can you please explain.

Wisp:
Okay, it is simple.

The face cards are the king number 13, the queen number 12, and the jack number 11. When the jack turns into the joker, it has the number one. The pips are small symbols on the front side of the card which determines the rank and suit of the card. Each suit contains only three face cards. The joker has no suit, and it is a face card which can be discarded or declared wild. The wildness means that it can belong to any suit, and it is ranked about an ace.

The ace is a pip card. It can be the lowest or highest rank in the deck. However, it has a value of one like the joker. The other pip cards are common cards which often play an important role in the game. 2, 3, and 4 are the lowest rank pip cards while 10, 9, and 8 are the highest ranked. 5, 6, and 7 are the middle pip cards.

Each pip card belongs to a suit. The Ace of Spades has a very large pip. The other suits are hearts, clubs, and diamonds. Spades and clubs are the black suits, and hearts and diamonds are the red suits.

The 52 cards in the ordinary deck are like the weeks in the year. This is funny because adding the joker makes the value of the cards to add up to 365 which is the number of days. The pip cards add up to four sets of 55 while the face cards add up to be four sets of 36. The joker adds on more to this number which does not explain leap year but the extra day in the ordinary year past 52 weeks. Each suit represents one of the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn, and winter while each face card represents a month of a year.

Cards were used as codes in World War II, but can be found in earlier references such as one that is dated 20 April 1762. Since then the codes have been imitated in many popular songs. The Ace is always a supreme supernatural leader while the King is a ruler followed by the Queen and the younger Jack. The ten represents the law while the nine represents the thankful people who were helped. The eight represents the chosen survivors. These were the upper pips related to obedience and free will. The middle pips are what is made (6), what adores (7), and what pure things are needed to do all of these things for glory (5). The lower pips are the old and new (2), who was and who followed and what is remembered (3), and the witnesses who recorded these things (4).

The language of mathematical thought wrote about these numbers earlier:
1. Identity
2. Can be divided, difference
3. Mean, progression
4. Embodiment, solid
5. Man & woman (odd & even), justice
6. Marriage (creator), 3=man & 2=woman, 1st perfect #, peace, new beginning (5 + 1 = 3 + 3 = 2 + 2 + 2), generation and formation of soul, maker of the soul & causer of the conditions of life
7. Dual mean, prime number, soul & virtues, parts of the body
8. Product of even-even, cube, octave, 1 + 7 = 2 + 6 = 3 + 5 = 2^3, well pleasing = changeable, composition of the universe (earth)
9. Maximum limit of digits (3^2 = 8 + 1), affinity, equivalence, progression of natural cycle, relationship between 9 +1, brings completion
10. Generation of the soul begins, 5 + 5 = 10 => 55, sum {1,2,4,8,1,3,9,27} = 55, construction and composition of the universe, square in a triangle has ten sides.

Capt. Wagg:
You say this has to do with the Doc?

Wisp:
Yep, the computer has a headache, and we thought of the next idea . . .

Closing Advertisement
Thunder Dude: Your shiny and soft hair makes me wanting some uncooked crispy carrots.
Book: I use Smoke a Zen, a revolutionary new and trendy hair product to put the pep back into your locks.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:25 am
12thinking.jpg
Thinking about some deeply important things.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: When do I start doing my thing again?
Writer: Hmm . . . let me think for a second or two.

Opening Advertisement

Preamble of Show

Opening Credits

Act 1, Scene 5: Thinking

Capt. Wagg:
Well, can you give me some fact?
Wisp:
Of course I can.

Advection often refers to the horizontal transport of some property of the atmosphere or ocean, such as heat, humidity or salinity, and atmospheric convection generally refers to vertical transport. Advective transport describes the movement of some quantity via the bulk flow of a fluid. A distinguishing feature of diffusion is that it results in mixing or mass transport, without requiring bulk motion. Convection includes diffusion and advection and cannot take place in solids because neither bulk current flows nor significant diffusion can take place in solids. Diffusion of heat can take place in solids, but that is called heat conduction. Differential advection is when there are two or more air masses advecting at different elevations. The two or more air masses will often have different wind directions and different source regions. If two air masses clash with each other at the same elevation, the air mass with the lesser density will advect over the top of the air mass with a higher density. Thus differential advection will cause vertical motions when the less dense air mass has to move up and over a more dense air mass along a slope that forces the less dense air mass to have a vertical component of motion.(http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/348/).

Capt. Wagg:
Ok, that is enough airplane talk. Let's forget the quotes. What about the Doc?
Wisp:
I am getting there.

The solar system originally began as a large cloud of gas and dust that collapsed due to the mutual gravitational pull of each piece of matter on every other piece. Unless the cloud was absolutely stationary at the start, as it collapsed it would naturally flatten out into a disk-like structure. In many systems, a giant planet forms and then spirals almost all the way into the star. The reason is that gas in the disk loses energy to internal friction and falls in, dragging the planet with it. Eventually the planet gets so close that the star exerts a torque on its orbit, stabilizing it.

One star - the Sun (gets most of the material)

Solar nebula: Gravitational contraction (cloud's gravity overcoming its internal pressure) Heating, Spinning, Flattening; Formation of protostar, energy from nuclear fusion not gravitation contraction, 10 million Kelvin for hydrogen to fuse into helium, 100 million Kelvin for 3 helium nuclei to fuse into carbon ; Collapsing stops when the core energy equals the surface radiated energy, solar equilibrium.

Inner region: All components, gaseous form

Rock-Line (0.3 AU)~

Four terrestrial planets (few moons) - Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars
Intermediate region: Rocks and metals, frozen flakes; hydrogen compounds, hydrogen and helium are present as gases. Asteroids are primoridal objects left over from the formation of the Solar System.
The terrestrial planets: rock and metal condense, orbit at same speed, collide and clump, clump accrete rather than break-up, planetesimals form, gravity and increased accretion, spherical planets form.

Other asteroids

Asteroid Belt, dwarf planet Ceres (2.7 AU)
Beyond the orbit of Mars, gravitational interference from Jupiter's huge mass prevented protoplanetary bodies from growing larger than about 1,000 km (620 miles), by sweeping many into pulverizing collisions as well as out into the Oort Cloud or beyond Sol's gravitational reach altogether.

Snow-Line (3.5 AU)~

Four Jovian planets (many moons)(grabs most of left over material), other asteroids - Jupiter , Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
Outer region: Rocks, metals, and hydrogen compounds, frozen flakes; hydrogen and helium are present as gases.
The Jovian planets and induced gravitational collapse moon and ring products: hydrogen compound condensation with some rocks and metals, clumping, accretion, clumps form planetesimals, increased accretion, planets form.

Comets, Kuiper Belt objects and Pluto (three dwarf planets)

Capt. Wagg:
Hmm. . . that is a little spaced out.
Wisp:
I see . . . An astronomical unit = approximately the mean Earth–Sun distance = about 149,597,870.7 km = 92,955,807.3 mi.

Capt. Wagg:
You say this has to do with the Doc?
Wisp:
Yep, the computer is really depressed now, and we thought of the next idea . . .

Closing Advertisement

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:18 am
13lookingatsomething.JPG
Someone to watch over me is a good thing I would say.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What are you looking at?
Writer: I am not sure. I think they are singing a duet.

Opening Advertisement

Preamble of Show

Opening Credits

Act 1, Scene 6: Rigor Mortis Banana

Capt. Wagg:
Ok, let’s skip The Doc for a moment, and let’s talk about the banana.
Wisp:
Okay.

Capt. Wagg:
Alright . . . now, what is so special about the banana?
Wisp:
Humans share 50% of our DNA with a banana.

Capt. Wagg:
Can you explain the special effects of these chemicals [hic]?
Wisp:
You see humans and bananas have a lot in common. In humans, the heart stops, the body convulses, the person starts taking short gasping breaths, and the ears become cold due to the lack of circulation. Clinical death arrives as the brain stops getting oxygen. Blood starts pooling in the body, which starts causing discoloration called livor mortis, usually a reddish-blue color. Rigor mortis begins to set in. Rigor mortis ends at the beginning of this next stage and the body again becomes pliable. Bacteria, located in the intestines, feed off of dead tissue and give off gases. The hairs, nails, and teeth begin to detach very easily. The skin begins to liquefy from internal gases and decaying or dries out, depending on environmental circumstances. As the process of mummification is finishing, the body’s fat begins to breakdown and turns into a crumbly-white waxy substance called adipocere, also known as “grave wax.” At this last stage, most bodies found will have to be identified by dental records. If the technology or DNA profile for comparison is available, DNA can also be extracted from teeth or bones for identification. And so, the DNA can be studied.

Capt. Wagg:
Well, how do you do that?
Wisp:
We can do that easily.
1. Mush half of the banana in the zip bag for about a minute until all the lumps are gone and it looks like pudding.

Capt. Wagg:
I have no inkling of that I could say.
Wisp:
2. Fill a cup with the hot water and salt.

Capt. Wagg:
It is my view that that is interesting.
Wisp:
3. Pour the saltwater mix into the bag. Close the bag and very gently squeeze and move the saltwater and banana mush together. Do this for 30 to 45 seconds.

Capt. Wagg:
Sort of shaking it up . . .
Wisp:
4. Add the dishwashing soap into the bag and gently mix the contents. Avoid making too much foam.

Capt. Wagg:
Really?
Wisp:
Yes. 5. Place the coffee filter in a clear glass cup, securing the top of the filter around the lip of the cup.

Capt. Wagg:
You don’t mean that?
Wisp:
Yes, I do. 6. Pour the mix into the filter a little bit at a time to avoid breaking the filter. Let it sit until all of the liquid drips down into the cup.

Capt. Wagg:
I still say that is something else.
Wisp:
7. Remove and throw away the used coffee filter.

Capt. Wagg:
I never did like the taste of filter papers.
Wisp:
8. Tilt the glass and slowly add cold alcohol down the side of the cup. You want the alcohol to form a layer on top of the banana mix, staying separated, so be careful not to pour it too fast. Make a layer of alcohol that is 2.5-5cm (1-2in) thick.

Capt. Wagg:
I hope this is not all a waste of good alcohol.
Wisp:
It is not. 9. After the alcohol layer is set up, wait for eight minutes. You may see some bubbles and cloudy material moving around in the alcohol. This material is DNA clumping together.

Capt. Wagg:
And I wonder how you know that?
Wisp:
It looks a little like candy. DNA has sugar you know. 10. Use the wooden stirrer to start poking the cloudy stuff in the alcohol layer. Spin the stirrer it in place to start gathering the cloudy stuff. When you are done, take a closer look at the stuff on the stirrer.

Capt. Wagg:
And what is the result?
Wisp:
You are looking at DNA!

Capt. Wagg:
And so humans share 50% of our DNA with a banana.
Wisp:
Yep, I am sure to a good approximation for public knowledge.

Closing Advertisement

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:26 pm
IMG_0572.JPG
Hold on I am busy eating

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Hey, what is going on? When is act 2 going to start?
Writer: Hold on, I am really hungry.

Director: Cut . . . Take 5 for lunch.

Mr. Hertz: Oh no, how much is this going to cost?
Cook: Big bucks . . . It's a real treat, lots of mello and burgers.

Crew 1: Hey, aren’t you late?

Crewlady: Yeah, I got news from BusterK.
Crew 2: What does he want?

Crewlady: The usual, something impossible?
Crew 3: Everything he wants turns out to look phony.

Crewlady: Yeah, I know . . . He wants us to do the steam out the ears gag?
Crew 4: That’s impossible with this technology.

BusterK: . . . but I got the big mello bucks.
Whole Crew: Okay!

Book: Mello-everybody . . .
Thunder Dude: Is that M-E-L-L-O . . . the soft and wiggly snack that is great to eat?
Book: You bet . . . and you should try it with fruit cocktail!

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:08 am
15drinkup.JPG
Fiber and drinking are good for the movement of the day to day life.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What are you doing?
Writer: I was really really hungry, and I had so much fun playing my new game.

Opening Advertisement:

Preamble of Show:

Opening Credits

Introduction Advertisement:

Act 1, Scene 7: The Alibi?

Merlin’s parallel database query thing: I got a big headache from calculating these trajectories. Will you guys please stop yapping!

Capt. Wagg:
What is he talking about?

Wisp:
Don’t worry about him. He always talks like he is on the Battlefield.

Capt. Wagg:
I don’t know. Sound strange to me. Everybody does not get headaches from mathematics.

Wisp:
He’s been drinking.

Capt. Wagg:
I hate to ask, but what is your point?

Wisp:
80 proof whiskey is forty percent by volume and an average density of whiskey = 0.942 g/mL. But what does this mean? The specific gravity of an alcoholic drink is measured in degrees. Pure water has a specific gravity of 1000 degrees. The specific gravity can be used to measure the density of the drink. The wine density relates to the amount of sugar dissolved. Since sugar has a molar mass greater than water, the density increases with the addition of the sweet substance. As the yeast eats up the sugar, the density decreases. The finished product often has a specific density between 990 and 1010. The lower measurement corresponds to a dryer taste than the sweeter tasting higher measurement product. The density of ethanol is 0.79 g/mL. While the density of some beers is 1.064 g/mL, the density of Budweiser is 1.004 g/mL.

This system dates to the 18th century, and perhaps earlier, when spirits were graded with gunpowder: A solution of water and alcohol "proved" itself when it could be poured on a pinch of gunpowder and the wet powder could still be ignited. If it didn't ignite, the solution had too much water in it and the proof was considered low or "underproof". A "proven" solution was defined as 100 degrees proof (100°). This has since been found to occur at 57.15% ethanol.
Alcoholic proof is a measure of how much ethanol is in an alcoholic beverage, and is approximately twice the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV, the unit that is commonly used at present). In the definition [currently used] in the United States, the proof number is twice the percentage of the alcohol content measured by volume at a temperature of 60 °F (15.5 °C). Therefore "80 proof" is 40% alcohol by volume ([with] most of the other 60% [consists of] water). [Water and alcohol form a mixture (called an azeotrope). It has a lower boiling point than either one of them which distills off as a 95% alcohol and 5% water mixture]. Thus a distilled liquor cannot be stronger than 95% (190 proof); there are other techniques for separating liquids that can produce 100% ethanol (or "absolute alcohol"), but they are used only for scientific or industrial purposes. 100% ethanol does not stay 100% for very long, because it is hygroscopic and absorbs water out of the atmosphere.

Capt. Wagg:
Where do you get this info?

Wisp:
Well, I had a little help. This is too historical to be non-fiction. It is the truth.

Proof is a measurement of the specific gravity of whisky, and it measures the alcohol [content] of the whisky by means of a hydrometer. These days alcohol is more usually given as Alcohol By Volume (ABV). British "proof spirit" contains 57.1% alcohol by volume. Originally meaning ["of tried strength or quality,"] this acquired new meaning with the invention of the hydrometer - a floating instrument used to determine the specific gravity of a fluid - in this case an alcohol/water mixture.

The definitions were progressively firmed up via published tables. The British and American systems differ. British "proof spirit" contains 57.1% alcohol by volume or 49.28% alcohol by weight at 51 degrees Fahrenheit. American proof spirit by contrast contains 50% alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. 100 degree proof British spirit therefore corresponds to 114.2 degree proof in the USA, while American 100 degree proof spirit is 87.7 degree proof British. On this scale incidentally pure alcohol rates 175 degree proof (British). Newly distilled malt whisky is generally 115-120 degree proof as it comes off the still. It is generally watered down and bottled at 70 degree proof for the domestic British market. It has long been noted however that whisky bottled at full strength and diluted in the glass tastes superior to the same whisky diluted at bottling. This has never been adequately explained but has in recent years led to the availability of "cask strength" malt whiskies bottled at typically 100-110 degree proof (57-63% alcohol by volume). These [treats] may be drunk cautiously at their full strength but more commonly diluted with a small splash of water. Prejudice alert on! . . . Malt whisky is drunk either as neat spirit or with a small quantity of water [for] taste. It should *never* be drunk with soda or other mixers, neither should it be necessary to drink it "on the rocks." The traditional cut glass whisky glass (tumbler-shaped) is not necessarily the best glass to savour malt whisky and in "serious" whisky drinking circles a nosing glass more like a small narrow brandy snifter is sometimes employed. (prejudice alert off) failing which, it is a spirit which is made to be enjoyed and if you enjoy it mixed with Pernod and Angustura bitters who am I to judge?! Slainte.

Capt. Wagg:
Hmm . . . did you put those words together?

Wisp:
It was a lot of observation and editing work, but you can see my style in what I say.

At 1 atm, water boils at 100 degrees C and ethanol boils at 78.3 degrees C. There is an azeotrope that boils at 78.2 degrees C that is 96% ethanol by mass, 95% ethanol and 5% water by volume. This is a binary azeotrope because it involves two components. It is also a minimum boiling azeotrope because the boiling point of the mixture is below either of the two pure components.

A jigger or shot is equal to 44 mL or 1.5 US fl oz in the United States. This is the amount of alcohol typically poured into a cocktail shaker to make one drink. On the average, it takes one hour for the human body to metabolize one shot of 80 proof alcohol. This is roughly equivalent to 5 ounces of wine and 12 ounces of beer. A person is endangered of being drunk if more than 8 shots are consumed in an hour. This much booze will allow the blood-alcohol level to approach 0.40; nonetheless, doctors are a little bit more conservative since a person may need medical attention before 4 shots are consumed in an hour in a healthy person with no history of previous alcohol or drug use. A blood-alcohol level of 0.25 endangers vital body functions while death is possible with a 0.3 reading. Also, a person should always eat a good meal when consuming alcohol to help the metabolism process of one serving size. Of course, a glass of 100% fruit juice might be better for most people.

Capt. Wagg:
We were talking about The Doc.

Wisp:
This is important.

Most widely used aldehydes in perfumery are C7 (possessing a herbaceous green aroma), C8 (octanal, orange-like), C9 (smelling of roses), C10 (decanal, powerfully evocative of orange rind), Citral, a complex 10-carbon aldehyde (fragrance of lemons), C11 (undecanal, “clean” aldehydic, naturally present in coriander leaf oil~also used is unsaturated C11 undecen-1-al), C12 (the odor of lilacs or violets), C13 (waxy, with grapefruit tone)and the C14 (evoking the scent of peach-skin).

Capt. Wagg:
Hmm . . . I see.

Wisp:
Yes, and it makes good sense too when you are hungry.

The name hoe cake comes not from the slaves cooking the cornmeal on a metal hoe, but rather from an earlier meaning of the word hoe, which was synonymous with griddle. Slaves cooking hoe cakes were probably cooking them over a fire near their fields on a griddle or in a skillet. Nothing says they couldn’t use a flat hoe if they were griddle-less, but that isn’t the origin of the term. The term hoe used for a cooking implement as early as the 1670s strongly suggests that when colonists baked a mixture of Indian corn (or wheat) and liquid on a peel or griddle, this food item became known as a hoe cake. The name stuck even when a hoe cake was cooked in a skillet or pan. For lunch, the slaves made a hole, and cooked hoe cakes. They were good. Their backs were hurting from working all day. Hoe-cakes are not hole cakes . . . they are more like cornmeal pancakes.

Authentic Washington’s Hoe Cakes Makes about 4 servings and takes 35 minutes, plus at least 8 hours and 20 minutes for resting the batter. ½ teaspoon active dry yeast 2 ½ cups white cornmeal 3-4 cups lukewarm water ½ teaspoon salt 1 large egg, beaten Melted butter for drizzling and serving Honey or maple syrup for serving In a large bowl, mix the yeast with 11/4 cups cornmeal, then pour in 1 cup warm water, and combine thoroughly. Now stir in ½ cup more water. The mixture should be like pancake batter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Are you awake? Ready to finish the hoe cakes?

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and have a nice platter or large plate ready. This is so you can keep the first hoe cakes warm while you prepare the rest of the batter.

Add ½ to 3/4-cup lukewarm water to the batter, stir well, and cover bowl with a damp towel. Let rest for about 20 minutes.

Heat griddle to medium high and grease with lard, bacon fat or other shortening. Drop a scant ¼ cup of batter on the griddle, and cook on one side until brown. Flip the hoe cake to brown on the other side. Place on platter, drizzle with a little butter and put platter in the warm oven. Add each hoe cake as it is finished so that you have a nice pile, each one drizzled with butter, to place on the table. Serve with melted butter and honey or maple syrup.
Modern Hoe Cakes Makes about 4 servings and takes about 20 minutes.

1 ½ cup white cornmeal ½ cup unbleached white flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 2 eggs, beaten 1 1/3 cups milk 2 tablespoons canola oil, or melted butter – especially if General Lafayette is dropping by for breakfast. Butter, if desired, and honey or jam for serving.

In a large bowl, stir all of the dry ingredients together. (This is essentially your own hoe cake mix, and it keeps in a sealed container or zippered plastic bag for a long time.) In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the milk and shortening. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well. You can add a little more milk if the batter is too thick. It should be the consistency of any pancake batter.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F, and have a nice platter or large plate ready. This is so you can keep the first hoe cakes warm while you prepare the rest of the batter Drop by scant ¼ cup (I use a soup ladle) onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on the top of each hoe cake. Add each hoe cake to the platter and keep warm in the low oven. I like to warm our individual plates at the same time, especially in the winter. Serve with butter and honey, molasses or maple syrup.

Capt. Wagg:
Oh, Oh, I am so mad. (Whistling sound . . . walks out of room)

Wisp:
Is that smoke coming out of your ears . . . don’t go away mad!

Closing Advertisement:
Thunder Dude: Is that M-E-L-L-O . . . the soft and wiggly snack that is great to eat?
Last edited by GregKiroKH on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:53 am
16MoreEating.JPG
Ok, I will see what I can do.
16MoreEating.JPG (41.03 KiB) Viewed 5375 times

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What is wrong now?
Writer: My mind is a blank. I need some incentive to continue, I think.

Stink-a-ogie Singers: Stink . . . Stink, Stink . . . Stink, Stink-a- ogie, Stink, Stink . . . Stink, Stink . . . Stink, Stink-a- ogie, Stink, Stink, Stink-a-ogie . . . Ahhhhh!!!!

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:37 pm
17washing up.JPG
Ok, I will see what I can do.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Are you still suffering writers block?
Writer: Yeah, a little, I have been looking into run-on sentences.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What do you mean?
Writer: The father of the run-on sentence was Francis Christensen who in 1962 took a simple but interesting loose sentence and stated to add these strange but interesting things called additions which created a uniquely wonderful movement and rhyme constructed in a mind provoking blending of the levels of generality with a wonderful blend of significant facts and figures and other things which create a lasting and memorable lasting texture to each blending and combination of words called syntax or something like that binding memory with thought while encouraging new and lasting feelings growing in time from supposing to fantasy to reality to memory to never never going away in the wonders of contemplation.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: . . . that is some run-on sentence.
Writer: yeah, but that is not all.

Writer: In 1946, John Erskine challenged the earlier ideas concerning the importance of the subject and verb being the most important part of the sentence by introducing a new and elementary ponderance of the wonderful modifiers.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: All of that is nice, but what does this have to do with the story?
Writer: In 2013, Christopher Allen and his colleagues examined group dynamics.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Sounds interesting?
Writer: Something is wrong when you do things only by yourself. Mind me, you need time to think and ponder, but you should also consider forming a team of people to work together to do something.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What is this thing that needs to be done?
Writer: First, people ought to form dyads for emotional support, commitment, reasoned agreement, power inequality, and group accountability.

Writer: Information flow seems to work better when two people share a conversation.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: I am not sure I understand what your point is?
Writer: When you have a triad the group dynamics change because there is an inability to devolve, voting, and elemental diversity.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: So, this has something to do with the story?
Writer: Yes, when we have a team of 4 to 12 people all sorts of dyads and triads will develop.

Director: What is going on here? When is the story going to continue??????

Stink-a-ogie Singers: Stink . . . Stink, Stink . . . Stink, Stink-a- ogie, Stink, Stink . . . Stink, Stink . . . Stink, Stink-a- ogie, Stink, Stink, Stink-a-ogie . . . Ahhhhh!!!!

Opening Advertisement

Preamble of Show

Opening Credits

Act 2, Scene 1: The Big Headache

Merlin’s parallel database query thing: I got a big headache from calculating these trajectories. Will you guys please stop yapping!

Closing Advertisement

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 am
17NYdrink.JPG
Hee Hee, Happy New Years

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What is wrong now?
Writer: I feel so sick after the New Year’s Eve party; I do not think I can make it. I need some drink.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: That is what you said for Christmas . . .
Writer: Don’t worry, I am getting better. I have a great idea developing . . .

YDNA:
R1b-L48-BY32442
MtDNA:
L1c1d(C8657T,16224C)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 am
18drinkingitup.JPG
I think I still feel a little dizzy

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Is there still something wrong?
Writer: Yeah, I cannot stop thinking about composite particles.

Writer: I am tormented by what Satyendra Nath Bose said.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What did he say?
Writer: He was talking about composite particles.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: What does that have to do with the story?
Writer: It is like writing sentences.

Mysterious Chorus Voice: Oh yeah?
Writer: Yeah . . . Agents are very important in electron transfer. An oxidizing agent will cause something to be oxidized while a reducing agent will cause something to be reduced. When an atom is oxidized it losses an electron and becomes a cation. When an atom is reduced it gains an electron and becomes an anion. The agents most likely will release or gain an electron. There are several reasons why an ionic pair occurs. One likely competition is between a kinetic or thermodynamic mechanism. At some point, the competition from the electron becomes nearly equal, and spin spin coupling occurs. This became all the talk at the university in the 1920s. In 1925, Wolfgang Pauli demonstrated the need for a fourth quantum number. He closed the abstract to his paper this way:

"On the basis of these results one is also led to a general classification of every electron in the atom by the principal quantum number n and two auxiliary quantum numbers k1 and k2 to which is added a further quantum number m1 in the presence of an external field. In conjunction with a recent paper by E. C. Stoner this classification leads to a general quantum theoretical formulation of the completion of electron groups in atoms."

In late 1925, two young researchers named George Uhlenbeck and Samuel Goudsmit discovered the property of the electron responsible for the fourth quantum number being needed and named this property spin. Students started to talk about this from university to university. This new chemistry certainly was with the younger generation who needed time to realize how this new theory would fit within what we call the classical theory now. With a single electron, the Bohr atom shells are degenerate for each stationary state. However, the repulsion generated between two electrons tends to establish the most stable structure to minimize decoupling by creating non-degenerate states leading to concepts of sub-shells and eventually a fine structure of the atom which can be detected by techniques in spectroscopy. The Schrödinger equation (1925/26) and Bohr's formula are quite accurate, but small deviations in energy can be observed in the hydrogen spectrum, and the actual multiplicity of states is twice that predicted by the Schrödinger equation. These flaws can be corrected by introducing the electron spin, with either the Schrödinger equation or the more precise Dirac equation. The electron spin behaves exactly like an angular momentum, but with a value 1/2. There are two ms states, with values -1/2 and +1/2 , which provide the needed doubling in the multiplicity of states. The interaction of the spin changes the energies of the states, so they are no longer independent of l. The coupling of the spin to the orbital angular momentum is treated by defining a new angular momentum quantum number j. For a given l, j can have the value l + 1/2 or l - 1/2 , depending on whether the orientations of the spin and orbital angular momentum are parallel or antiparallel. However, in an l = 0 state such as the ground state, only j = 1/2 is allowed. This method of combining spin and orbital angular momentum is known as spin-orbit coupling. In the Dirac equation the n = 2 states are shifted in energy by the spin-orbit coupling, with the j = 1/2 states slightly lower than the j = 3/2 state. The predicted splitting agrees very well with the observed fine structure in the spectrum. Further refinements to the theory of the hydrogen atom have been made with quantum field theory. The theory predicts a very small energy difference between the two multiplets with j = 1/2. This tiny splitting has been observed, and its magnitude agrees with theory. One final ingredient completes the description of the hydrogen atom--the interaction of its electron with the magnetic moment of its nucleus. The proton nucleus of ordinary hydrogen has a spin of 1/2 and a magnetic moment. The energies of the atom depend on the relative orientation of the electron and the proton's spin. This can be characterized by a new quantum number, the total spin F. It can have a value 0 or 1, depending on whether the two spins are parallel or antiparallel. The energy difference between these two states is very small, so that transitions are in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum. The frequency of the radiation is 1.4 {times} 10^9 hertz, which is a well-known feature of the radiation from interstellar hydrogen gas observed in radio astronomy. And so, covalent and ionic bond . . .

Mysterious Chorus Voice: My head feels funny.

Writer: You see what I mean?
PreviousNext

Return to The Corner Pub