Big Y upgrade

General discussions regarding DNA and its uses in genealogy research

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm
Gioiello wrote:
dartraighe wrote:Gioello
I had a new Big Y match today. He has broken up the 23 SNP block of SNPs that I share with my first Big Y match. He is not a YSTR match and we have 26 mismatched SNPs. His most distant known ancestors are from Wales with a ancient Welsh surname. I am pleased that I am not in an SNP bottlenecked branch.

Glad to know that, but unfortunately without the Big Y and the YFull exam we lack many possibilities. Nothing is sure with the vcf file of FTDNA.

Gioiello
This a great YSNP match for me now that he sent me his 111 YSTR marker haplotype. He is a GD of 14 at 67 markers and 21 at 111 markers to my haplotype, but he has specific markers that define our dna subclade. He has several 67 marker matches with Welsh surnames and if we match in a lot of SNPs then they certainly match him also. I reckon that we had a common ancestor around 2,160 years ago.
Last edited by dartraighe on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 pm
FTDNA updated the tree today and I have 15 SNPs that my match does not have. This match has broken up my SNP block that I got from my Big Y test. The good thing about the Big Y test results is that an SNP match will show up that is not YSTR match. If a tester does not join a project he will still be added to your matches list as long as he is within the 30 YSNP threshold.

I have a GD of 14 at 67 YSTR markers and 15 SNP differences to the new Big Y tester who is one of an SNP cluster located in south Wales. My ancestor separated from this group around 2,160 ybp.

YSTR tests are history. YSNP tests are the way to go. Anyone who has the WAMH 67 or 111 could be in any one of a large number of subgroups. I have made more progress with two Big Y tests in the last two years than with YSTR tests in the nine years before that.
Last edited by dartraighe on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 am
A great blog about the Big Y from Roberta Estes.
https://dna-explained.com/2018/01/12/wo ... ults-hg38/

"If you are a Family Tree DNA customer, and in particular, a male or manage male kits, you’re familiar with the Big Y test.

The Big Y test scans the entire gold standard region of the Y chromosome, hunting for mutations, called SNPs, that define your haplogroup with great precision. This test also discovers SNPs never before found. Those newly discovered SNPs may someday become new haplogroup branches as well. The Big Y test is how the Y DNA phylotree has been expanded from a few hundred locations a few years ago to more than 78,000, and along with that comes our understanding of the migration patterns of our ancestor."

MtDNA:
U5b2b
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm
Due to the fact that I could not find 67 marker YSTR matches I kept myself interested by looking for SNP matches. The good thing about the Big Y test is that any tester who doesn't want to join projects or make his YSTR profile public will have no choice when his results come in. They will be posted to your page as long as the threshold is within 30 SNPs between the two matches. If I had been able to see my 25 marker matches YSTR profiles I would have contacted those with DYS492=13 because most of those were tested to 67 and 111 markers. They are not in any projects so I cannot see all of their YSTRs. FTDNA's 67 marker threshold is too rigid. My new Big Y match is a GD of 14 @67 and he was never going to show as a potential match.

A tester has to look at the origin place of the parent clades to try and get an idea of the pathway of their ancestors. I understand that some testers have different goals and they are confused with YSTR and YSNP labels. I think that YSTRs are a waste of money and time. YSTRs will point a tester in the right direction but at the end of the day a tester will have to SNP test to determine the dept of the relationship. I have 32 reliable SNP markers to work with now. YSTR markers are too volatile for my liking.
Previous

Return to General DNA Discussion