Surname confirmation

DNA testing for adoptees. Success Stories. Discussions.

Moderator: CeCeMoore

YDNA:
R-Z16
MtDNA:
H5a2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 pm
Hi Folks

New to these parts, and I, myself, am an adoptee.

Paternal

I was "fortunate" to carry my father's name for a short time before being officially adopted and getting a name change; so my early school records have my birth name. While I recently developed an e-paper trail going back with some certainty to about 1860 with the same family name, would DNA confirm this is the actual family name. I'm literally about two generations away from hitting the "Mother" country if the historical migration records are correct for said surname.

To make it clearer, my birth name is Melendez, and supposedly Melendez didn't travel to Puerto Rico from Spain until about 1800-ish, and my family lived on the Eastern side of the island. I do know the names of the great-great-grandparents who would have been born 1830-1840, but have no confirming records at this time.

I'm R-P312+ with a lonely, numberless "b", so I'm currently testing for Z196/Z209 as was recommended; and I'm not sure what more this will tell me.

Maternal

I only know my mother was born in "Poland" ca 1934, and on my father's death certificate they use his name and not her maiden name...grrrrrr. On my adoption records she uses another name, but I don't know if she's carrying the name of her first husband or if it is her actual maiden name. It is not a Polish name.

My mtDNA results have been completed, and I now know I am H5a

Will DNA give me some ideas of what her name might have been; how accurate will it be; I mean I'd be surprised if it could give me her exact name?

Thanks in advance for any responses given. I had joined DNA forums, but that site has disappeared. I hope my joining wasn't the cause, LOL.

ch421i3
Last edited by ch421i3 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

YDNA:
R-L21+, L226+
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:08 pm
It sounds like your father's side is progressing nicely and you probably need a Y-DNA testing to verify that you match the oldest proven ancestor to any line that you speculate that you are related to in Spain. There are only four Y-DNA Melendez submissions in the Melendez Y-DNA project. If those four do not match your speculated line, you will need to line up a sponsor to test the other line as well. Y-STRs are excellent for the yes/no/maybe answer. I would order the FTDNA 37 or 67 marker Y-STR test.

For your mother's line, an autosomal test may be a better approach. As with Melendez, eastern European submissions are not very plentiful. But any matches could be extremely revealing. Autosomal has one big pro and one big con: pro - it covers all lines - not just one all male line; con - you usually have to test several known relatives to figure out which segments belong to which line and that may impossible for you to do. I would not pursue upgrades of mtDNA as it only covers deep ancestral issues and autosomal would be much better for you.
YDNA:
L21-L513*
MtDNA:
H1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:31 pm
I strongly agree with Robert regarding the Y STR testing...get the 67 marker if you can afford it as it will likely weed out possible false positives (assuming you get any decent hits)

I dont know that much about the MTdna other than its trickier to use for recent geniological reasons. Roberts advice does make sense though

good luck ch42

Mike
Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, Tipperary Co. Ire. to Kincardine On

Y-DNA-RL21, R-513* (still looking for the 'lost Irish 'C' boys')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
23&me=L21+
E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-

Co Administrator of the Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/whalen
YDNA:
J-L147.1 J1c3d L1253
MtDNA:
H
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 am
Hello....both Robert and Mike give good advice....I am also adopted and got started with a 12 Marker test....which soon grew and grew and grew. I now have a Y 111 marker, deep clade, Mt, Family finder and I am now doing the Walk Thru Y So my advice is to buy the test you can afford and have fun...Keep in mind this is not about who you are...you are you...this is about who your blood people are and were. As you can tell by all my tests I think that is important or I would not be doing it. I am not rich....but it is great fun also.
Y J1c3d P58+ L147.1+ L222- 174- Z644- Z640- Z644- +L1252 +L1253 L1279- Z1884+ CTS5857-
FTDNA N42042
Oldest Y ancestor:
Archebald Graham, father of David b. Dec. 23, 1647 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Oldest Mt: My mother's grandmother on her Mother's side: Sonicooie b +- 1743 CNE [Cherokee Nation East]was father to Soniovie [Susannah] Sonicooie
My mother's grandmother on her father's side was 1/2 Creek Indian from Alabama
YDNA:
R-Z16
MtDNA:
H5a2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 am
Hi Robert, Mike, Gato!

I guess I should have said, I have tested through to 67 markers.
Where do I compare these 4 Melendez, and is there anything specific I should look for?

I did find one cousin, and we are two markers off. So I guess we might be 4th cousins?

I fortunately, did find my nephew, (my deceased brother's son) and I'm doing most of this tracing for him. (I'm hoping
he'll appreciate it some day LOL)

Thanks again
Charlie

YDNA:
R-L21+, L226+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm
The best way to find DNA surname projects:

1) go the FTDNA web site and search your surname in the project search box.

2) Search google "Surname DNA" to finding older project web sites.

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/melendez/results

Definitely contact the admin of the project and send your Y-STR markers and one page summary of your all male Melendez line back to your oldest proven ancestor. Also, upload your markers to Y-Search for broader visibility to Ancestry.com and other companies that test DNA. Log onto Ancestry.com and GenTree and upload your markers there and look for other Melendez submissions. Close relatives are not the best Y-DNA candidates - you want them to be from descendants of sons or grandsons of your oldest proven ancestor. For autosomal, parents and siblings are the best - but depends on your particular search needs.
YDNA:
R-Z16
MtDNA:
H5a2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 pm
Hi Robert

I've sent an email to the MelendezAdmin, and I have not received any responses. The last posts showing any pedigrees seems to be 2008 I have to say of all the projects I've joined that website is the most confusing, and I don't understand how to compare my information to what they have. In their defense, I am new to all this.

I'll see what googling offers.

Thanks again.

YDNA:
R-L21+, L226+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 pm
Give the admin a few days to respond - even 2 or 3 weeks. All admins are volunteers and many have minimal skills and just created the project. If they are never responsive, you can have them removed and replaced at the FTDNA web site and volunteer to take over - but it sounds like you need to build your skills some first. Here is a detailed analysis (step by step) of one my Casey surname clusters:

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/Casey/Analysis/Analysis_South_Carolina.html

You do not have to understand every step immediately - just go to my web site and other surname web sites where they analyze their results. Surname web sites are the best way to learn about Y-DNA and forums are better for autosomal since they are not surname driven but driven by matches of many surnames.
YDNA:
R-Z16
MtDNA:
H5a2
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 am
Robert Casey wrote:It sounds like your father's side is progressing nicely and you probably need a Y-DNA testing to verify that you match the oldest proven ancestor to any line that you speculate that you are related to in Spain. There are only four Y-DNA Melendez submissions in the Melendez Y-DNA project.

They added mine. Now I guess I better invest in ancestral genetics for dummies to understand the mutations/color variations. I guesstimate I'm about two generations away from finding ancestors living in Spain, but I'm stuck now.

YDNA:
R-L21+, L226+
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:33 pm
ch421i3 wrote:Now I guess I better invest in ancestral genetics for dummies to understand the mutations/color variations. I guesstimate I'm about two generations away from finding ancestors living in Spain, but I'm stuck now.

Here are my favorite books for introductory material:

http://www.amazon.com/Trace-Your-Roots- ... 525&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/DNA-Family-Histor ... 525&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/DNA-Genealogy-Col ... 525&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/DNA-Social-Networ ... 525&sr=1-2

These books are only good starting points for learning. Surname project web sites, yahoo forums, this forum and web sites dedicated to a particular analysis are the best.
Next

Return to Adoptions