What, if anything would you change about your results?

A place for posing poll questions related to genetic and traditional genealogy
What, if anything, would you change about your DNA test results?

Nothing - it's fine as is
46%
Mtdna
3%
Y DNA
5%
Admixture percentages - not how I see myself
5%
Global similarity or Population Finder doesn't match where I'm from
5%
Neanderthal score
3%
Missing evidence of Saami, Native American, Basque, Viking, or other interesting group
8%
My number of cousins or lack of close matches
8%
APOE, BRCA, "avoidance of errors", empathy snp or other troubling health result
3%
My generally uninteresting results - isn't there anything special about me?
14%

Total votes : 37

YDNA:
R1b-Z12*
MtDNA:
I3b (FMS)
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm
Barreldriver wrote:I would change my Y-DNA, it's a bit frustrating being R-P312 (L176.2 negative)with no known downstream clade and little heading on what private SNP's would be most wise to test for. I envy those whose deep clade results yielded something more definitive meaning they don't have to spend as much money to find the information they seek. :p

Hey Barreldriver, I see you've found us.

Re your P-312* status it must be frustrating to be stalled that high up in a major R1b subclade. On the question of perhaps testing private SNPs, are you a member of the R-P312 project at FTDNA and its associated Yahoo discussion group?

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/atlantic-r1b1c/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/R-P312Project/
Use Profile/Edit Profile in User Control Panel to add your Y-DNA and mtDNA values.
YDNA:
I1d1 (I-M253)
MtDNA:
U5b2b3a
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 am
I don't think I would change anything, really. However, once the euphoria wore down, I looked at my mtDNA and had that "I am not special" feeling regarding my subclade. Then, on the other hand, I did get two exact matches [one with a common ancestor perhaps some 500 yrs ago, and ancestor that remains, sadly, "Unknown"].

There is one item not included in the poll: genealogy. I explain: My overall feeling is that while Y-DNA and mtDNA may help me understand ancestry [as in 4,000 yrs ago, given my mtDNA subclade, Y-DNA stll pending], it may not necessarily help me with more recent ancestry. As more people get tested, perhaps I may get more answers beyond a GG grandfather. Until then, my mtDNA ancestor lived from 4,000 yrs ago to a more "recent" 500 yrs ago. Thus, the questions that I had prior to undergoing these tests remain AFTER the test have been completed.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Maternal surnames: Gelpí, Lebrón, Ruiz, Vientos, Mendez, Jardines, Marty, Cintra, Crisostomos, Orta, Perez, Torres
Paternal surnames: Ramírez, Jiménez/Gimenes, Rodríguez, López, Pagán, Jacome, Rivera, del Toro, Figueroa, Carlo

Paternal mtDNA: A2k1
gedMatch ID: FN105290

YDNA:
Pat-R-P312-DF27+
MtDNA:
Mat-U5b1d1 PatMt-A2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:44 pm
Mixed bag for me. I voted my autosomal while a good majority I am happy about, the rest I am very confused.

Happy about the 16% AmerIndian. I already knew I was French and Orcadian so that is all good. What stumps me is the middle Eastern. Within the middle eastern is about 4% Mozabite (Berber) 9% Gedrosian (Iranian, Pakistani and Afganistani) 9% Caucasus (Armenia/Georgia) and 3% Arab.

While I know there is some type of Jewish within my fathers side and some of this belongs to him I don't see anything in my "known" family tree to indicate someone who is even part Middle Eastern. I have my Costa Rican tree going back to 1750 all in Costa Rica. I have my mothers tree going back to N. Europe as far as 1000's -1400's.

Am I a victim of a Non paternal Event? I guess we'll find out when my dads FF comes back. If it doesn't contain anything that is in mine then I will know for sure. It would have to come from another father because the only thing that could possibly be in my mothers tree is the Mozabite due to intermixing with the African population in the South USA.

Right Now I am very confused. About 21% of me is from Middle East/Central East and I have no clue where it came from!
Did my infancy succeed another age of mine that dies before it? Was it that which I spent within my mother's womb? . . . And what before that life again, O God of my joy, was I anywhere or in any body?
~
Confessions of St. Augustine

YDNA:
R1a-L1280
MtDNA:
T2f
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 pm
Diana Sotela wrote:I have my mothers tree going back to N. Europe as far as 1000's -1400's.

You have all of your maternal ancestors going back this far?!

YDNA:
Pat-R-P312-DF27+
MtDNA:
Mat-U5b1d1 PatMt-A2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:58 am
Yep. My maternal maternal line goes back to 1500 and my maternal (paternal) all the way back to 1120. My dads only.goes back to 1750 on both sides before the brick wall. I know, Im very lucky to have such a paper trail. Its taken over 13 yrs of research. Im starting to think NPE! Possibly very recently. Maybe even. A NME. In Costa Rica it was common for men to take their out of wedlock children home for their wives to raise. I already know of at least one case within my family.

hollis_f wrote:
Diana Sotela wrote:I have my mothers tree going back to N. Europe as far as 1000's -1400's.

You have all of your maternal ancestors going back this far?!
Did my infancy succeed another age of mine that dies before it? Was it that which I spent within my mother's womb? . . . And what before that life again, O God of my joy, was I anywhere or in any body?
~
Confessions of St. Augustine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:10 am
I'd like to see my 18% ''Non-Specific Northern Euro' dna on 23andMe's updated Ancestry Painting ['speculative'] broken down into something more recognisable. How much of it is Scandinavian from the Danelaw? Is there any Norman-derived mixed Germanic-Celtic dna in there? Do dashes of recent Norwegian ancestry and Huguenot lines figure in this category or are they reflected in my 'Scandinavian' and 'French/German' categories? At any rate, I'd like the non-specific to be specific... :)

YDNA:
R1a1a1b1a1b1
MtDNA:
H1bg
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:11 am
Not sure how to answer this one. I suppose if I knew the results were actually in error, I'd want to change them to fix them.

But there really are two issues here, as far as I'm concerned. The actual results, which simply reflect one's STRs or SNPs (depending on the test); and the interpretation of what those results mean.

Now, I certainly would hope the underlying test results are accurate. I'd also like to see interpretations which are accurate, of course, but if I were to insist they fully reflect my preconceptions -- what would be the point? If they can only tell me what I already know, what do I need them for?

I understand that there are those who may think their results are too "vanilla" -- although I actually rather enjoy vanilla. Maybe it's because I'm a bitter taster, so chocolate is not as much fun. (Especially dark chocolate.) But I'm not a bitter taster because of my results showing me to be one; the results show me as a bitter taster because I am one. I could change my results, but it wouldn't change me.
Y-DNA ancestor: Johan Buchhammer, b. Germany 1729; to America 1749
mtDNA ancestor: Marie Anne Berda dit Picard, b. MS gulf coast, 1727

3 ggp surnames: Buchhammer (Bookhammer), Gregg, White, Smith, Mogle, Carle, Keith, Walker, Fry, Schoenfelt, Clapper, Hetrick, Yingling, -, Clapper, Foutz, Weaver (orig. Weber), Delong, Blickenstaff, Hauver, Koch, -, Roll, Weaver (Weber), Pons, -, Reeb, Peter, Canet, Manent, Ryan, Ladner

Avatar: Self, father, grandfather, g-grandfather

YDNA:
R-DF99/S11987
MtDNA:
H3ap
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 am
I retracted my vote, as of late being R-P312** has been entertaining. Something to concentrate on in between university assignments. :D
R-P312 clades tested for: DF99+ P312+ DF27- DF19- U152- L21- L459- Z245- L238- Z2245- Z2247-
Ysearch: VNSGW
mtDNA: H3ap
Gedmatch ID: M033622

YDNA:
R-DF41
MtDNA:
U5a2c3a
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:57 pm
I wouldn't change anything, although I would like to find that y-dna match who already has the well-documented paper trail of my dreams that leads me to my immigrant ancestor. But I would not change anything about my y or mtDNA haplogroups, and all that.
Previous

Return to Polls