Y-haplogroup D in Cebu, Philippines

YDNA:
R1b1a2a1a1b4
MtDNA:
T2a1a
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:50 am
Upon returning from a trip to meet my fiancée and her family in Cebu City, Philippines, I felt compelled to test her father Martin's DNA and asked his permission to do the testing. I was expecting haplogroup O3 or O1, or possibly K or C. For about the first 5 days after the STR results came in, FTDNA could not determine the haplogroup, and his only match, at 12 markers, was one man in Guam who is haplogroup D, plus two unnamed haplogroup-D men from Philippines who he matched in the Haplogroup Origins section. I ran his STR set through Whit Athey's haplogroup predictor (which doesn't include D) and it predicted E1b1b. Since D and E have the common ancestor DE, and since E doesn't occur in Southeast Asia, this seemed to suggest D for Martin. Sure enough, after about 5 days, FTDNA predicted that he belongs to haplogroup D. I was quite baffled, as I had never heard of haplogroup D having any relation to the Philippines. I only remembered reading about D occurring at high frequency in the Andaman Islands of India, in Tibet, and in Japan.

After doing further research, I learned that haplogroup D is relatively rare, with a relic distribution, and only occurs:

In Andaman Islanders (in the Bay of Bengal, east of India - actually closer to Burma than to India - with D* at a frequency somewhere between 50 and 70%),
In Tibetans (with combination of D1 and D3 at about 50%),
In Japanese (with D2 about 35% in general, and higher than 85% in Ainu),
In medium to small percentages in other parts of mainland Southeast and East Asia, especially among speakers of Tibeto-Burman (such as Qiang with D1 at 30%), Hmong-Mien aka Miao-Yao (such as Yao with D1 at about 10%), and Daic aka Tai-Kadai languages (such as Thai with D* at 10%),
In tiny percentages in southern Central Asia (primarily as D3) among Mongolians, Altaians, Kazakhs, and Uzbeks,
and in small or tiny percentages of Pacific Islanders (as D*), such as Guam. Note that Guam is listed in a research paper with D* at 17%, but this was one person with a positive result out of six persons tested.

The areas where haplogroup D populations exist tend to be mountainous or oceanic, reflecting their displacement as first glacial ice, and then expanding Neolithic populations, displaced them from more fertile areas. Whether they moved voluntarily and opportunistically to exploit the more remote areas, whether Neolithic populations pushed them into ever-shrinking and more remote territory, or whether they were simply outnumbered by the sheer number of Neolithic people in fertile areas, is open to conjecture. It was probably a combination of factors that led to their remote, fragmented distribution and shrinking numbers.

Where D is found at high frequencies:
D* - SNP M174 - typically Andamanese; more specificaly, in the Jarawa and Onge people.
D1 - SNP M15 - typically Tibetans and those nearby who speak a Tibeto-Burman language. Probably originated in Southeast Asia and migrated into Tibet from the east about 5000 years ago. SNP N1 defines D1a.
D2 - SNP M64.1 - originated in and occurs almost exclusively in Japan, especially among Ainus and Ryukyuans. SNP M116.1 defines D2a.
D3 - SNP P99 - typically Tibetans and those nearby who speak a Tibeto-Burman language. Originated in or migrated into Tibet about 11,000 years ago. SNP P47 defines D3a.

Haplogroup D is an ancient haplogroup, descended from DE with which it shares the YAP+ marker not found in any other haplogroups, and probably originated in South Asia about 60,000 to 50,000 years ago.

According to the Genographic Project,
Haplogroup D may have accompanied another group, the Coastal Clan (haplogroup C) on the first major wave of migration out of Africa about 50,000 years ago. Taking advantage of the plentiful seaside resources, these intrepid explorers followed the coastline of Africa through the southern Arabian Peninsula, India, Sri Lanka, and Southeast Asia. Alternatively, they may have made the trek at a later time, following in the footsteps of the Coastal Clan. Pockets of these ancestors still live along this ancient route, particularly in Southeast Asia and the Andaman Islands
, though curiously not in India.

This first major wave (or waves) of migration are known as the Great Coastal Migration or the Coastal Express.

The haplogroup-D Pacific Islanders belong to paragroup D (D*) with the Andamanese. This is the oldest branch, before the subclades D1, D2, and D3 branched off. I haven't been able to find a research paper describing which Pacific Islanders have D* and at what frequency, other than one paper showing 16.60% D* in Guam. (Again, note that this was only ONE person who tested D* out of 6 persons tested.) I did find another research paper with an image showing Pacific Ocean Islanders clustered near Andaman Islanders in the D paragroup, but with no further mention of who these Pacific Islanders were or where they resided. I'm thinking that the frequency is generally low since there is not even any mention of haplogroup D on Wikipedia's Y-DNA haplogroups in Oceanian populations page.

The D man from Guam who matched Martin 12/12, and 4 steps away at 25, has Chamorro ancestors, according to his daughter who contacted me.

Martin also matches one man in Luzon, Philippines on YHRD.org at 7 loci (no matches at more than 7 loci).

On a side note, I think Martin has one or more RecLOHs:

DYS385 15-15
DYS459 9-9
DYS464 16-16-17-17
YCAII 21-21

I've ordered Y-STR DNA-FP Panel 5 Palindromic Pack out of curiosity, to look deeper into his RecLOHs and understand what is going on.

Currently my fiancée and I are testing Martin for SNP M174 to confirm haplogroup D. We are also testing M15, M64.1, and P99 to see if he belongs to subclades D1, D2, or D3, respectively. (There are other SNPs associated with each subclade. The ones I listed are among those you can test at FTDNA.) Our prediction is that he will come back either D* or D1/D3, as there is no evidence of any Japanese ancestry in his family. Furthermore, he doesn't match anyone on Ysearch where there are plenty of D2 entries. His closest matches are GD of 7 at the 12 marker level.

Martin and his family live on Mactan Island. This is in the Ibabao Cordova section of Cebu City, near Mactan-Cebu International Airport and near Lapu Lapu where Magellan met his end in 1521. They tell me that all of their ancestors, for as far back as they can remember, came from the same general area. Who knows? There could be more haplogroup D men in Ibabao Cordova.

If you are D* or you know someone who is, or if you are Filipino and your last name is DOROY, please contact me. Thank you!
Last edited by ErikMaher on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Hello Erik,

My wife's family ancestry is also Filipino, and I am considering having both of her parents tested while we still have the chance (they are in their 70's now). I'd like to ask you about your testing experience, but I was not able to contact you directly through this site. Would you send me a PM?

YDNA:
R1b1a2a1a1b4
MtDNA:
T2a1a
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 am
Hi, how do I send a PM on this website? I tried to click on your profile but saw no option to PM you. The easiest way to contact me outside of this website is through the Ysearch ID of either Martin (P8S7S) or me (Q3TGF). Go to http://www.ysearch.org, find one of these entries, and click where it says contact this user. You can find Martin by searching for Haplogroup D on Ysearch, for example.

The experience of shipping Martin's DNA from Philippines to Houston, Texas was nothing short of exasperating. Even though my fiancee and I followed FTDNA's instructions exactly, putting Martin's kit inside of an airtight ziplock bag, writing "Exempt Human Specimen" on the outer envelope, and using FedEx instead of LBC, there was still a major hold-up at FedEx. The FedEx workers demanded that we provide a doctor's note. Danica then had to find the nearest doctor (fortunately, there was a hospital across the street) and ask for a note. She finally found a doctor willing to sign a note for her, but with great reluctance, thinking that her American fiance was trying to find out about her family's genetic flaws (such as disease carrier status) from her father's DNA. The doctor had no concept of genealogy or how DNA had anything to do with genealogy. Take heed that FTDNA does ship internationally to some countries, but Philippines is not one of them, probably because of the great distance or the high chances of mail not reaching its destination in a timely matter (or at all).

I will post more soon, as Martin is now confirmed D* from his SNP testing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 am
hello erik,

Im a filipino and my my family name is doroy..
I wanted to pm you but i dont know how..

YDNA:
R1b1a2a1a1b4
MtDNA:
T2a1a
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm
Wow, that is great! Are you in USA, Philippines, or somewhere else? Are you from the Cebu area? Do you have a male family member who is willing to test his DNA? To reach me outside of this website, send me an email at the following address, typed backwards:

moc.oohay@gnilrajbkire

You can also send me an email on Ysearch, if you go to Ysearch user ID Q3TGF and click on the Contact button.

YDNA:
R1b1a2a1a1b4
MtDNA:
T2a1a
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm
This is an update regarding Martin Doroy, who was predicted D*.

Martin was confirmed D* in May 2012 after testing negative for SNPs P99, M64.1, and M15.

Martin is now tested at the 67-marker level, with 111-marker results pending. I suspect FTDNA is running low on his DNA, as his test results are increasingly delayed with each test.

On a side note, Martin's mtDNA haplgroup is M (specifically, M7b3a). M, like Y-DNA haplogroup D, is an ancient and wide-ranging haplogroup, its origin dating to around 70,000 years ago. Could the population that carried Martin's paternal ancestors in the direction of Philippines long ago, presumably during the Great Coastal Migration, be the same population that carried M7b3a in that direction? Could both his direct paternal and direct maternal ancestors have been in Philippines for more than 50,000 years?

On another side note, so far, Martin only has three FamilyFinder matches, with surnames Giuliano, Klucsor, and Mosot, with surprisingly large chunks of shared DNA (about 53 cM, 26 cM, and 104 cM, respectively).

I will post any further updates on Martin's D* status here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 am
another philippines D,kit 88605,tested M174+,mismatch 233764 5 STR at 25 STRs,I forget in which project

YDNA:
R1a1a1b2a1a1
MtDNA:
Q2a
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 pm
Are there any aDNA samples from the natives of Jarawa? I am interested in the results.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:51 pm
dawnland wrote:another philippines D,kit 88605,tested M174+,mismatch 233764 5 STR at 25 STRs,I forget in which project

4Sephardim Group Project
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/4S ... n=yresults
88605 Philippines D-M174 12 25 13 10 15-16 11 12 12 13 12 30 16 9-9 11 11 24 14 19 23 17-17-17-17
yDNA: Q1b1a (L245+ L315- L272-)
mtDNA: J1c2*
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ex oriente lux

Return to D Haplogroup (Y-DNA)